Iphone 5S or 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by TLmac, May 22, 2015.

1. TLmac macrumors member

Has anyone upgraded from an iPhone 5 recently?

I thought I wasn't due until early next week but apparently I am eligible to upgrade my iPhone 5 as of today! There is a $100 price difference. Is the upgrade to the 6 worth the extra $100? In your opinion?

A new 6 would be $200 16 gb
    A new 5S would be $100 16 gb
    A certified preowned 5S would be $100 for 32 GB

I still think my 5 is decent, speed wise. My biggest issue has been the battery.

2. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I feel this would largely depend on your need of a larger screen.

3. TLmac thread starter macrumors member

ok...So more so than the faster chip?

As far as a bigger screen...I feel like playing around with text size and using the zoom feature has seemed ok...

4. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I've been on iOS since the 4S and have never had a problem with speed or battery life, so I'm probably not the best one to advise in those two areas.

5. TLmac thread starter macrumors member

I think I may just go with the 5S.
    I can use my 2 cases that I have from my 5, I think. Plus I think I could benefit from more space vs. bigger screen so I can get the preowned 5S with 32 GB for $100. Hopefully it will be a good decision. I will save $$ by not having to buy another case, again!

Now that I have my rMBP, I don't need the best iPhone out there! ;)

6. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

If you're not going to use Apple Pay or aren't interested in the 4.7" screen, I would definitely go with the 5s. I had the 6 and went back to my 5s and I haven't regretted the decision one bit.

Good choice in going with the 32GB verison. I really like the extra space so I can store my photos and sync some Spotify playlists for offline listening.

7. TLmac thread starter macrumors member

Good to hear. Thank you!

Thank you both for your input! Hopefully I'll be happy with it. I'll have it for 2 more yrs.

Any tips on extending battery life? Other than closing apps better than I have been? Sometimes I'll be at 24% or 16 % and it will shut off (the iPhone 5 that I currently have). But other times it will last until 1% and stay on longer than I expect until I can plug it in.

8. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I typically drain my battery until the phone shuts off completely once a month to calibrate it. Whether it actually works or not, I don't know. But I also close out of apps once I'm done using them. That way they aren't running in the background and draining your battery.

9. david91 macrumors regular

resolution is the same. jst a bigger screen display

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Resolution is not the same, where the 6 has a higher resolution. The PPI is the same though.

11. wproct macrumors 6502

wproct

I have a 5s 16g and have been extremely happy with it. Battery life has been very good as long as I am in a good signal location. I personally think going with the certified pre-owned 32g 5s model is a good decision. Looking forward to hearing from you after the purchase.