Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Hi there,

I am looking to buy a new iPhone but I am not sure which one to buy. I do like the iPhone 5s very much and i tcovers for all my needs, but I am worried that it will get slow as the operating systems develop. Is that something to worry about or should I go with it?

carko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
I never really heard about it to be honest, but I can read that it a kind of substitute for the 5s. The problem, however, is that it is either 16 and 64 GB's and it does not seem to be much cheaper than the iPhone 6?

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
It's a much better device than the 5s. It has more features and a stronger background. It's like the 6s.

carko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
It sounds very promising. I will certainly look into it. But my biggest concern about the 5s is that upcoming operating systems will make it slow - especially after the release of the 7. Do you know if there is any truth in that? And how long would a 5s last in composition to the SE?
Thank you for answering!

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
It sounds very promising. I will certainly look into it. But my biggest concern about the 5s is that upcoming operating systems will make it slow - especially after the release of the 7. Do you know if there is any truth in that? And how long would a 5s last in composition to the SE?
Thank you for answering!

SE is two generations newer that the 5S, therefore is much faster and will last you much longer. SE is currently Apple's faster iPhone along with the flagship 6S. So if you are concerned about which one will last you longer, SE is a much better option than both 5S and SE.

carko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
SE is two generations newer that the 5S, therefore is much faster and will last you much longer. SE is currently Apple's faster iPhone along with the flagship 6S. So if you are concerned about which one will last you longer, SE is a much better option than both 5S and SE.

Thanks. I think i need to reconsider. I intend to have my phone for a long period of time and I would it like it to continue to be fast, so perhaps the SE is the better option. :)

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Agreed with the other posters. While the 5s can probably be had for pretty large discounts at this point if you plan to keep your phone for a few years the SE is your best bet as it has the latest hardware (same A9 CPU as 2 GB of RAM that the more expensive 6s has) and should give you a good experience for a few years yet. It is also cheaper than the 6 which has older hardware (If you want a screen larger than 4" I would personally avoid the 6 and only consider the 6s as the 1 GB of RAM in the 6 will probably become a liability with future iOS updates and the 6 may start to feel slow sooner than you would hope).

Last edited:

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
iPhone SE is your best option. It is a very good device and probably
One of Apple's better devices.

Definitely makes up for the iPhone 5c

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Thank you for answering!

I would go with an SE if you don't mind the size. It is more powerful, newer, has better battery life than both the 5s and 6, and it also has a better camera. And 2GB of RAM which was a sore spot for me on the 5s and 6 (they had 1GB)

The 5s and 6 are pretty comparable devices in terms of power (the A8 in the 6 is more or less a slightly enhanced A7), whereas the SE is both cheaper and more powerful than the 6 (the A9 made some big gains in CPU power and especially GPU power); it also has more RAM and faster RAM.

If size is your main sticking point, then perhaps give the 6 a test run at your local electronics store and see how that goes, because it does have (imo) a better screen than the 5s or SE.

But the SE is the best overall, I think. It is buttery, buttery smooth on iOS 9 and will last for a while; the A9 chip is a mobile beast.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
At this point, I wouldn't really worry so much about the phone getting slow with updates, but rather laggy and unresponsive because of the low amount of RAM. In that case, I think the 5s would last a little longer considering it requires a little less RAM with its lower resolution display.

But like other people mentioned, I would definitely go for the iPhone SE if possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.