iPhone 5S or Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleBanana, Nov 2, 2013.

1. AppleBanana macrumors newbie

I'm not really sure where to put this but feel free to move it if I'm in the wrong section.

Hey guys, I just wanted your opinion on my situation here. I have an iPhone 4S and a Toshiba laptop both in working condition. Now, I'm upgrading one of these. I orginally wanted to wait for the iPhone 6 and just get the Macbook Pro with Retina display, but after looking at rumors for the 6, it seems like Apple is planning on getting a larger screen (As big as an S3 if I'm not mistaken. Had an S3 with my 4S before and just hated it). If these are true, pretty much like how almost all the rumors for the 5S before have been spilled way before the announcement of the 5S, I'm assuming that these MAY be true as well. And for the Macbook, I'm not sure if there's a new one coming.

I'm not going to give my situation here so we won't get to the 'what you need more' part. I just want your own personal opinion about this.
    iPhone 5S or Macbook Pro?

Thanks a lot for reading this. Haha Thanks in advance guys

2. wxman2003 Suspended

If LTE is not important on your phone, then get the latest Macbook Pro.

3. alFR macrumors 68020

Well, if I wanted or needed a new laptop I'd buy the MBP. If I wanted or needed a new phone I'd buy the 5S. To say "we won't get to the what you need more part" with a question like this is just daft: if you are really in the situation that you don't need either and just want to burn some cash, flip a coin.

4. RedburnIV macrumors regular

RedburnIV

You'll be getting a bigger screen if you go from a 4S to a 5S, but you're ultimately upgrading significantly from a Toshiba to a Macbook. My opinion, there are some bugs with IOS7 which is ruining the experience with my iPhone 5S. Go with the Macbook. You won't regret it, and you won't be disappointed. I bought one back in 2010 and it still works like a brand new machine. Absolutely love it and by far the best computer I've purchased.

5. MJD Dawg macrumors 6502

Junction of the Pacific, Juan de Fuca & NA Plates
    You don't want to tell us your personal requirements, but you want us to suggest which you should get? Really?

Bloody hell. Do you think picking one of these two items is like choosing a piece of jewellery? Decide based on your own requirements, not on what others like best.

6. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

It all depends on what color you are going to get! Are you gonna wait for the MBP Gold? I personally would get both. You can get the 5s on a next plan for $50 bucks out the door and $30 extra a month on you bill...

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Of course there's going to be a new one coming... next year. The MBPs just got updated.

Counterproposal: iPhone 5s, and MacBook Air. :)

8. AppleBanana thread starter macrumors newbie

Just asking for your own opinions. Like without any given situation, and based only on function and stuff, what would you get, the iPhone or the Macbook? Thanks for the reply though. Haha

----------

Alright. Thanks!

9. Xerotech macrumors 6502

What do you use more?
    Do you have the budget? An rMPB significantly costs more than the iPhone. Are there more important things you could do with the money?

A macbook or new iPhone would be nice but prioritize. :)

10. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

11. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

Get an iPad.

12. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

Get the Pro.

There are no concrete rumours of features for the iPhone 6 just people saying what they want.

The 4S is a great phone and will serve you fine for the next 12 months, this coming from a 4 owner.

Your life will be much improved however by having a MBP that allows you to intergrate your ios devices.

13. Altis macrumors 68000

Going from 4S to 5S won't change much in your life. It'll be a little bit better, but you'll still do all the exact same things with it you do now.

Getting a MBP will significantly enhance your computing experience. If you don't need the power, get the Air, it's very good too. The trackpad is night and day over other manufacturers. ;)

14. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

rMBP!!

i use mine everyday.. religiously for school, personal, and work.

15. Breitling65 macrumors 6502

all 3 here, mbpr/iphone 5s/ipad air. highly recommended combo :)

16. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Have gone from a MBP to a Windows 8 Ultrabook, my quality of life has stayed the same, and certainly hasn't worsened. Not sure how a laptop would improve one's life anyway :cool:

17. N e e k macrumors 6502

It depends on what you do on your Laptop... Do you do any heavy editing (final cut, etc...) photo editing? If you just browse the web and email, then don't upgrade and upgrade your phone. Your giving the carriers more money by not upgrading, and LTE is fantastic.

18. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Get a rMBP 2012. Don't buy the Haswell rMBP it's a waste of money. It has faster flash, but with the 2012 you get to keep the 650M and save $600 by doing so.

Also, if you're not keen on the bigger iPhone 6 that will be coming out - then you can always buy a 5S next year. I would highly suggest getting a MacBook over updating your iPhone though.

Like I said, don't waste your money paying $2000 for the rMBP with Iris Pro. Save a bunch of money and get last years model - it's no different besides the faster flash in the newer model

(Oh, if you're looking at a 13" model though get the haswell ;))

19. g35, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013

g35 macrumors 6502a

Depends how much you use your computer. If you use it a lot, get the MBP. If you only use it to download content that you sync to your iPhone, plus MS Office (like me) I'd get the 5S.

I have a 13" MBA and it's way overkill (too fast, too expensive) for what I use it for, which is browsing the web, MS Office, and downloading music and TV shows. I've been thinking of selling it and pocketing the few hundred $ extra as it would make no difference to my day-to-day experience. I switched to this Mac from a $500 Samsung laptop but it's really not that much better, despite what people here would have you believe.

If you do get the MBP, get the $1099 refurbished 13" retina model from the Apple refurbished store online. It's the best deal out there on a $1000-2000 computer in my opinion.

Actually what I'd do most of all in your situation is keep the 4S and Toshiba laptop and buy an iPad mini retina. Getting an iPad mini really made me realize how much it could replace the functions of my laptop and phone around the house. I would happily trade my iPhone 5 and MBA for a 4S and Toshiba if it meant freeing up $400 for a retina iPad mini I didn't have before.