Iphone 5s - over 50% battery life gain with galaxy's s3 USB charger

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dankom, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Dankom, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014

Dankom macrumors newbie

For the first months since I purchase the 5s, the battery life was terrible, I've read over the net that the 3-4 hours that I got from 100%, was possible with few degrading variables such as heat, low signal strength , higher brightness, etc.

Luckily my original USB charger died, possibly from overheating after plugging the phone 8 hours a day to it at work , while using the phone extensively, browsing, gaming etc.

Then I used my brother's USB charger. I noticed the charger stays cool all the time, and the charging output was low, took me about 2 hours to get to 100% from 0%. Unlike the original that got me to that with 30 minor less. The day after the battery life expanded amazingly, doubled and even more, right now I'm at 7hours and 5 min of browsing, and messaging with 30 min of gaming, and at 18 % left.

I remember reading something that slow charge expands the battery life, in comparison to fast charge. If this does not damage the phone,(which I think not because it's USB charger with same lightning connector) then I can't see myself charging with the original ever again.

[​IMG]

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Whether or not slow charge helps with battery life, I would rather charge 80% in hour than 10% an hour but twice the battery live.

The one reason I'm annoyed with my HTC One is the slow charging. It's like I can't even get the phone charged overnight if I had used all my battery the day before.

No such problem with my iPhone. I can forget to charge it overnight, and in the morning charge on the way to work (and be fully charged when I get to work).

3. Dankom thread starter macrumors newbie

If you are at work it's fine but what if you're on a trip, or going out, you don't wanna carry a charger with you in the pocket.

4. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

I charge my iPhone 5 from my Sony Bravia Smart TV.
    It takes about 3.5 hrs to charge from 0% to 100% but the battery life is great.
    I use the wall charger when I am in a hurry.

5. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i plug my iPhone in whenever i can and it usually doesn't dip below 40 unless I've been out all day.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

You should get the original charger replaced and see if the replacement behaves the same. According to Apple's chart the battery should take about 2 hours to charge to 80% (fast charge) and then another 2 hours to trickle charge it to 100%.

Even if you don't use the OEM charger it will increase the value of the phone (as compared to a missing charger) if you decide to sell it.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

The half hour charge going from 0% to 100% soudns strange, which is somehow likely what might have been behind it all in the sense that it really wasn't charging it fully so quickly despite the phone somehow getting to 100%.

8. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

You may have had a faulty charger to begin with. How hot would the charger get?

It is covered under your iPhone's warranty as long as there was no accidental damage, so I'd call and get it replaced.