Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bitterspeak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
I'm experiencing less than optimal battery life. I'm curious to know what is everyone's Usage vs. Standby Time?

I'm noticing some phantom usage from my phone and I'm wondering if it's causing the battery usage to be higher than normal.

For example, a few hours after a full charge, my phone shows that I've used my phone for 1H32M. In the few hours, I had made a phone call, sent 3 text messages, and launched Instagram once. For sure, I would say that all the activity took me 15 minutes tops.

As a test, I let my phone sit for about 15 minutes of inactivity (1H33M), and after I woke it up, it shows usage at 1H40M. I turned off all auto refreshes, notifications are at a minimal, and I don't push email.

Anyone else noticing this on their phones? Suggestions? Ideas?

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I always thought this was foulplay on Apple's part... to fool people into thinking their battery life is great.

Who knows really. I wish iOS had a "screen on time" like Android to be honest... could really see the ACTUAL usage then

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Well, I'm getting good battery life. Up at 5:45am with 100% charge and in bed often by 12am with ~50% of charge. And I use my phone. Not heavily, as in video streaming, but I do use it.

You aren't expecting 3 or 4 days of battery life with heavy usage are you? If so, those days are long over. Or, get a flip phone and you can relive the experience.

bitterspeak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
What about Location Services?

Location services has been limited to a few apps. Reduce motion has been turned on. No push emails.

Comparatively, I have an iPhone 5 (work phone).

iPhone 5: Usage - 26mins, Standby - 9 hours, 42mins
iPhone 5S: Usage 55 mins, Standby - 8 hours, 5 mins

I know that this comparison can't be taken at face value. But on Wifi, my work iPhone 5 is still at 100% whereas my personal iPhone 5S is at 89%. I've been in meetings all day, so usage has been light.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.