iPhone 5s rattle

fitgirl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
This is now my second iphone 5s replacement and it still has the same issue, when I sake the phone lightly up and down I can hear it rattle, it sounds like something is loose inside, the sound is comparable to a loose screw floating inside. I know that the power botton on these phones are loose and can cause a rattle however when I hold the power botton down I can still hear the rattle, it's coming from the back near the camera and as well as the bottom of the phone where the speakers are, has anyone else had this issue? is this normal or are they all like that? I just to don't want to go back and get another replacement if it's going to have the same issue again.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
This is now my second iphone 5s replacement and it still has the same issue, when I sake the phone lightly up and down I can hear it rattle, it sounds like something is loose inside, the sound is comparable to a loose screw floating inside. I know that the power botton on these phones are loose and can cause a rattle however when I hold the power botton down I can still hear the rattle, it's coming from the back near the camera and as well as the bottom of the phone where the speakers are, has anyone else had this issue? is this normal or are they all like that? I just to don't want to go back and get another replacement if it's going to have the same issue again.
Did you do a search on iPhone rattle?

It is either the power button or the internal lens elements for the back camera.

It is OK.

fitgirl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
If it is the camera lens should you also hear the rattle at the bottom as well where the speakers are?

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Sometimes it is "hard" to detect exactly where the sound is coming from while shaking your phone.

If in doubt, take to the Apple store and have a Geek take a good look at it. Is everything else perfect on your phone? Might not want to give it up if it is.

fitgirl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
Yes everything else with the phone is ok and I did read the thread on the rattling 5s and people saying that they all do it and that it's the camera lens, but I'm confused because I did call apple support and they told that nothing in the phone should rattle when you shake it the only thing that you should hear is the rattle that comes from tapping lighly on the back near the camera but when shaking it up and down you should hear nothing, it just confusing.

fitgirl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
So the noise that I hear coming from the bottom of the phone is the power bottom?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Yes everything else with the phone is ok and I did read the thread on the rattling 5s and people saying that they all do it and that it's the camera lens, but I'm confused because I did call apple support and they told that nothing in the phone should rattle when you shake it the only thing that you should hear is the rattle that comes from tapping lighly on the back near the camera but when shaking it up and down you should hear nothing, it just confusing.
If Apple says that it shouldn't rattle, but your phone does, you ought to take it in and have it looked at.

If it is the power button that is rattling, you can test this by placing your finger on the power button and shaking the phone. If the rattling goes away, then it is the power button.

fitgirl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
I know if it's the camera it's normal but I also hear rattle at the bottom if the phone where the speakers are and that is what is concerning me,

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
There is a thread about that ... why did you feel the need to open another one ?
Did you think your rattle is different ?

Btw I checked about 60-70 iPhones 5S and ALL OF THEM, and I repeat ALL OF THEM have the same rattling.
Every single one.

I think it's something behind the power button, not the power button itself (which is quite steady in my iPhone).

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Did you think your rattle is different ?
I'm pretty sure the OP has said that repeatedly.

Btw I checked about 60-70 iPhones 5S and ALL OF THEM, and I repeat ALL OF THEM have the same rattling.
Every single one.

I think it's something behind the power button, not the power button itself (which is quite steady in my iPhone).
All of the iPhones I've tested do rattle(2 AT&T Space Gray models, an AT&T Gold model and a Verizon Space Gray model) , but as soon as I place my finger on the power button, the rattle stops.

fitgirl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
I'm pretty sure the OP has said that repeatedly.

All of the iPhones I've tested do rattle(2 AT&T Space Gray models, an AT&T Gold model and a Verizon Space Gray model) , but as soon as I place my finger on the power button, the rattle stops.
My rattle keeps on rattling even when I place my finger on the power botton.

fitgirl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
Open camera app, let it autofocus, it will stop rattling.

Mine does it, annoying when I get an alert and it vibrates, but hey ho.
I've tried that too but it still rattles, the rattle is not when I tap it near the camera it's when I shake the phone lighly up and down and as I've said holding the power botton does not stop it.

Zyiros

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2014
Its the camera lens. This is normal, and has been for the past three generations of iPhones.

fitgirl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
Its the camera lens. This is normal, and has been for the past three generations of iPhones.
Just claws apple and they said it's not normal they said nothing should be rattling when u shake the phone, guess I'm gonna take a trip to the apple store.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Just claws apple and they said it's not normal they said nothing should be rattling when u shake the phone, guess I'm gonna take a trip to the apple store.
Yeah and Apple also told me that a restore of my software could fix a loose home button.

Look, it's normal, and has been for at least the past 3 iPhone generations.

fitgirl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013