Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesgreen_97

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2016
Hi all,

So I am getting my 22 month old iPhone 5S repaired tomorrow , having smashed the screen while also denting the mute button and reduced the volume of the front speaker. I have been advised that if it can be repaired it shall be though if not it will be replaced with a brand new iPhone SE. I am wondering what renders an iPhone 5S as unrepairable?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I am wondering what renders an iPhone 5S as unrepairable?

Anything can be repaired, it just depends how many components you replace. However if it's beyond economical repair, they'll replace it.

BER means that the cost for the components/repair exceed the value of the phone. From your description of the damage and seeing how cheaply you can pick up Grade A iPhone 5Ss, it's likely that it will be replaced.

jamesgreen_97

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2016
Anything can be repaired, it just depends how many components you replace. However if it's beyond economical repair, they'll replace it.

BER means that the cost for the components/repair exceed the value of the phone. From your description of the damage and seeing how cheaply you can pick up Grade A iPhone 5Ss, it's likely that it will be replaced.

Thankyou keysofanxiety! I am obviously hoping it gets replaced as this will mean a free upgrade. I was unsure if a broken mute button could even be repaired as it's damage to the chassis of the entire iPhone 5S

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.