Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meme1255

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Czechia
Hello, I have hard time choosing replacement for my iPhone 5S. I'm not willing to put 4th battery in it as it wouldn't help much anyway and I am unsatisfied mainly with its battery life and speed in general (insufficient RAM and constant refreshes).

I prefer the “small“ (Xs/11 Pro) form factor but I have doubts whether it is worth 300 USD (I would probably prefer 128G+ capacity but 64G + 200G iCloud space serves me well for some time) of difference.

My options are:
1) Buy iPhone 8 64G for ~450-500 USD (I use local prices with taxes included for simple comparison) and keep it for ~3years. I don't like it much because it has only 2G RAM. Size is an advantage.
2) Buy iPhone XS 64G for ~ 900 USD
3) Buy iPhone 11 128G for ~ 900 USD
4) Buy iPhone 11 Pro 64G for ~ 1300 USD

Main features I would like the phone to have is decent battery life and camera and sufficient RAM. I don't like constant Safari refreshes which is why I didn't buy iPhone 8/SE already. I expect the 2GBs iPhones to be killed a year earlier than 3GB+ X-design phones.

i am inclined towards options 2) or 3). Would someone help me to make up a mind? Thanks

Mercury7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2007
Hello, I have hard time choosing replacement for my iPhone 5S. I'm not willing to put 4th battery in it as it wouldn't help much anyway and I am unsatisfied mainly with its battery life and speed in general (insufficient RAM and constant refreshes).

I prefer the “small“ (Xs/11 Pro) form factor but I have doubts whether it is worth 300 USD (I would probably prefer 128G+ capacity but 64G + 200G iCloud space serves me well for some time) of difference.

My options are:
1) Buy iPhone 8 64G for ~450-500 USD (I use local prices with taxes included for simple comparison) and keep it for ~3years. I don't like it much because it has only 2G RAM. Size is an advantage.

Main features I would like the phone to have is decent battery life and camera and sufficient RAM. I don't like constant Safari refreshes which is why I didn't buy iPhone 8/SE already. I expect the 2GBs iPhones to be killed a year earlier than 3GB+ X-design phones.

i am inclined towards options 2) or 3). Would someone help me to make up a mind? Thanks
Wait til Spring and get SE2, that’s what I’m doing

Reactions: dcpmark

meme1255

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Czechia
Wait til Spring and get SE2, that’s what I’m doing
I would like to but the phone has started to behave very oddly recently – the battery claims to be 95 % capacity but the phone shuts down randomly and almost always when the battery is at 7 %. I am used to things taking a little bit longer but my patience is growing thin with the battery life (2-4 hours only :-( )...

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Have you used a 2GB device? The fact they’re still selling them this year would suggest that they’ll support that ram profile for at least a couple more years.

Two recommendations:
- if small is important : A cheap SE to tide you over while you wait on a possible SE2, so you could upgrade in 12-24 months and not be too expensive. 2GB i’d Expect SE to get iOS 14 so you should be good for OS support until at least September 2021 (IMO)
- is small isn’t critical: get an XR (possibly refurb). 3GB ram and A12 so will be long life

meme1255

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Czechia
Have you used a 2GB device? The fact they’re still selling them this year would suggest that they’ll support that ram profile for at least a couple more years.
I did but I assume that iPhone SE/6s and possibly 7 will be killed next year (as they don't have neural engine), the iPhone 8 ending in 2021 (last one with 2G RAM).

Frantisekj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2017
Deep inside Europe :-)
Option 5: Buy a used SE a wait a year…
na to se taky chystám. I když moje baterka je tak na 60-70%, tak nezlobí. Jesti je to oeidináln bterka z Apple servisu, reklamoval bych ji. Mně to S dělal taky. Baterka byla buh ví odkud. Po výměně za jinou, šlapal normálně.
doufám, že nejsi angličan z Prahy :)
Ta výdrž tví baterky je divná. To vydrží i moje a ta je v ......
Ale ještě bych si vyzkoušel někde všechny ty telefony, abys věděl, jestli 4GB opravdu zamezi načítání appek z "disku" A pokud chceš silnou baterii, tak ne XS. Ake XR nebo 11.

Reactions: meme1255

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA

My options are:

I would get Option #3. You said, you want decent battery and camera. The 11 Pro offers that with the latest processor. Plus you have the screen size next up from your 5S. The 11 Pro Max would be too big (though I'd pick that for myself). You get a new and improved battery on the 11 Pro, more power life than what you're using now. And you have the latest. The cost between Option 2 and 3 is the same, you get more memory on Option 3. So Option 3 is the winner. Get it in Midnight Green.

meme1255

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Czechia
na to se taky chystám. I když moje baterka je tak na 60-70%, tak nezlobí. Jesti je to oeidináln bterka z Apple servisu, reklamoval bych ji. Mně to S dělal taky. Baterka byla buh ví odkud. Po výměně za jinou, šlapal normálně.
doufám, že nejsi angličan z Prahy :)
Ta výdrž tví baterky je divná. To vydrží i moje a ta je v ......
Ale ještě bych si vyzkoušel někde všechny ty telefony, abys věděl, jestli 4GB opravdu zamezi načítání appek z "disku" A pokud chceš silnou baterii, tak ne XS. Ake XR nebo 11.

Beru to jako kompliment ?. Ne, Angličan nejsem, jenom … Eh, česká fóra o jablíčkách jsou k ničemu. ;) Originální baterka to není, ale investovat znova do 5S byť korunu navíc nemá IMHO už smysl. :-(

Počkám než ho dovezou do showroomu Alzy, to mám nejblíž a pak se rozmyslím, jestli tu 11 chci. To LCD je takové… Nevím, no.

meme1255

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Czechia
I would get Option #3. You said, you want decent battery and camera. The 11 Pro offers that with the latest processor. Plus you have the screen size next up from your 5S. The 11 Pro Max would be too big (though I'd pick that for myself). You get a new and improved battery on the 11 Pro, more power life than what you're using now. And you have the latest. The cost between Option 2 and 3 is the same, you get more memory on Option 3. So Option 3 is the winner. Get it in Midnight Green.

The 11 Pro is out of budget. No way I'll pay 1300 USD / 1160 EUR for a phone!

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I've had excellent results with Apple refurbished products.

You can get a refurb iPhone X for $679

Locke Cole

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2019
Southern Ontario
There's definitely a huge price gap between the iPhone 11 and 11 Pro. If I had to pick one (I don't because I'm more than satisfied with my new 8 Plus) it'd be the non Pro 11. I personally don't think any improvements or features of the 11 Pro justify the extra $400. Respectively, the 11 and 11 Pro cost $980 and $1380 here.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
It looks like your limited by price, size and what you want in ram. So, the XS is really your best option. You can always check the Marketplace here. There are some XS's up for sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

iNICK20

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2014
The 11 Pro is out of budget. No way I'll pay 1300 USD / 1160 EUR for a phone!

You can get the iPhone Xr 128Gb for about $430 on eBay. Why wouldn't you do this? It's crazy how you can get a newer iPhone for dirt cheap! Yet, I paid $1440 for my Pro Max 512Gb MG. lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.