iPhone 5S replacement issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TribeFan1, Jul 27, 2015.

1. TribeFan1 macrumors regular

TribeFan1

So this is a little bit long but here it goes. The phone with the troubles is my brother's that he purchased from me last November when i upgraded to the 6. When I had the 5S the mic on it was terrible and unless the phone was on speaker people could not understand me on the other side and it sounded muffled with an echo. This phone is still covered under AppleCare+ that I purchased with the phone and was replaced about a month or two ago because of the mic problem. The replacement phone screen would turn blue while being unlocked, so the phone was replaced again. The 2nd replacement phone had both the blue screen issue and the mic problem as well. It was extremely difficult to hear anything while on phone calls. So today that phone was replaced again. Are these common issues with the 5S model? Has anyone experienced anything similar with replacement phones?

Today's genius experience was also out of the ordinary as it was unpleasant. The genius was condescending when asked about a new in box replacement due to it being the 3rd replacement phone in less than two months. The genius also took the old iPhone back without offering to remove the Zagg Glass, which was kept on in order to simply transfer to the new one as the previous geniuses had done both times. Between the loss of a $40 screen protector and the bad attitude of the genius when being serviced, the experience was subpar. So what is the best way to contact apple about that?

Thank you for your time, help, and responses!

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Contact Applecare over the phone. Explain your situation and ask to speak to a manager. Your experience is no more or less than anyone else's, unfortunately.

That said, the Genius was within his rights to deny you a replacement from a factory sealed box. Apple is only obligated to provide you with a comparable device.

The white boxes are not all refurbs and they are not all bad, even if they are a refurb. You've just had a streak of unluck. Generally, an Apple refurb has it's case replaced, any parts that do not meet spec replaced and it goes through a battery of tests more rigorous than what the new phones go through.

Obviously, the phones you've gotten slipped through the cracks.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They wont give you a brand new one. Its a refurbished replacement like said above that goes thru many many tests and inspections before given out.
    And sounds like they're starting to get sick of you so after a half dozen replacements expect to get the rolleyes more often and more condescending tones.
    Also they don't have to remove or reinstall for you any glass protector or any 3rd party addons. Next time remove it yourself.

4. TribeFan1 thread starter macrumors regular

TribeFan1

Its worth a shot asking after 3 replacements in two months, and it was a different guy this time. Its a $650 phone at the time of purchase with a $100 warranty so they can get sick of me all they want, they have an obligation to fulfill the extended warranty. This is the only time in 3 iPhones, multiple iPads, and multiple Macs there has ever really been a reoccurring issue or an issue at all. And its pretty ordinary to leave the protector on when going for service, then once the means of service is determined then it can be taken off or thrown out.

5. laudern macrumors 6502a

I don't understand why you didn't just speak up and ask to get the screen protector off the old phone. Seems like you missed the boat on that one.

And $40 for a screen protector??? More money than brains.

6. TribeFan1 thread starter macrumors regular

TribeFan1

It was pretty much swapped before there was a chance. It's a Zagg Glass, lifetime warranty and a quality product. And is an apple forum really the place to be hurling insults on the costs of things? I mean this is the home of people spending $10k on a watch with the same internals as the one that costs $450, not to mention the high costs of other products.

7. TribeFan1 thread starter macrumors regular

TribeFan1

Thanks for your response! I do understand it is within their rights, I just figured it was worth a shot since the previous 2 replacements had problems. The worst they could have said was no. From previous visits there the geniuses seem to think the mic issue is a relatively common one so hopefully this new one continues to work correctly. This is a pretty rare occurrence, usually their service and especially products are just about perfect.