Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
These S upgrades are beyond annoying now! It will take a decrease in sales for them to stop them! I'm not asking for a redesign every year, but dang! Where's the innovation?!

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
These S upgrades are beyond annoying now! It will take a decrease in sales for them to stop them! I'm not asking for a redesign every year, but dang! Where's the innovation?!

You say about a phone that is only a rumor at this point.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
iPhone hardware has matured. Hard to get excited about it now a days. Tell me more about iOS7, THEN we'll see. Talk to me about setting my own default apps for instance.

blastair

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009

What innovation are you expecting? Has Apple done anything to their devices that came completely from left field?

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Buying guide for new Iphone

If you own the following phones:

Iphone 5- Not worth upgrading
Iphone 4- Not worth upgrading
Iphone 4S-Not worth upgrading
Iphone 3GS-Move to Iphone 5 for $49

or.....for all of the above and 7/10 Chinese customers, BUY A SAMSUNG S4

Note: I have an Iphone5, Ipad4, rMBP, new Imac 21, a mini and my wife has a 4s. I am not a troll, but supremely disappointed in the direction Apple is going. Why do you think the stock is in the tank? They need a reality check in Cupertino.

Starflyer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2003
Boring OS = yawn. Look at Ubuntu, or even the new BB OS. They are so much more advanced...

iOS is too plain and boring.. heck my MOM uses it now.

So it is more advanced because it doesn't look boring? Or where you being sarcastic?

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
I'll buy a retina mini on launch. It is the ideal development device. The 5S camera upgrade could be interesting if it uses something similar to Nokia's new technology.

Not sure what everybody expects for iOS7, though. What would make it innovative to you? Widgets? A notification bar that slides in from a different direction? It's tiring to see people constantly whining about change for the sake of change. I could see minor adjustments that would make it more convenient to use (replace volume slider with brightness in multitasking menu, allow for animated app icons, etc), but don't think for a second that they're going to throw everything out the window. iOS is the most functional smartphone OS out there, and part of the reason for that is that it keeps everything simple.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
What innovation are you expecting? Has Apple done anything to their devices that came completely from left field?

Yeah... introduced the iPhone 1.0 which changed it all... the intro of the retina screen and Apps was pretty cool too and unexpected at the time.

I don't know what people expect anymore? Should Apple add a cappuccino maker to the iPhone? :rolleyes:

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Just a first random rumor and people are sure it's the final iteration... how stupid can you people be...?

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
After I get my new iMac my next upgrade will be my iPhone, I can wait for the 5s now :)

Later I might get the new Mini iPad.

Starflyer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2003
Let me get this right; if rumours are to be believed, Samsung will launch the galaxy 4S around march/April with a glorious 5" screen, improved camera, wireless charging, further advanced OS, NFC, eight core processor and no doubt as thin as **** with a host of other goodies. Apples response ... Upgrade the camera!

Hey, that sounds like the phone for you.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012

Note: I have an Iphone5, Ipad4, rMBP, new Imac 21, a mini and my wife has a 4s. I am not a troll, but supremely disappointed in the direction Apple is going. Why do you think the stock is in the tank? They need a reality check in Cupertino.

So the the Apple phone that right now is just a handful of rumors isn't as good as the Samsung rumor phone?

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Have you seen how Apple packed in the inside of the iPhone 5? If Apple can put in an A7 with even more powerful processing power and GPU, all the new wifi chip and various LTE bands, while still maintaining same battery life, I call that innovation. There are many innovations being done in miniaturization, silicon, etc. I mean is innovation mean a new form factor?

Most people get their iPhone with 2 year carrier contract. This is why Apple does these S versions, to target those with the previous S versions that are nearing the end of their contracts.

Tomacorno

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2009

I don't really understand the logic here. If my iPhone 4 is two years old, and has therefore had two years of wear and tear, why wouldn't I upgrade to a 5S when my contract was up? I mean, in what sense would it not be worth it - LTE, better camera, Siri, Panorama feature, faster processor, lighter weight, slightly bigger screen,etc... that is what the non rumor version has that my iPhone4 does not. Plus, two years of apps and ways of doing things that I am used to. Why in the world would a rational person think, I must go Samsung the iPhone isn't NEWWWWW enough! A first time buyer probably has to do some research but not NEWWWW enough should not be a big deal if you don't already own a smartphone that you either like or dislike. Yeesh. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I am beginning to think the S versions are the skip versions now.

A lot of people feel the same way with the current iPhone 5. Apple needs to offer something better than a 13mp camera, A7 or even a new 128MB capacity. Something better than Siri, which was the new, big feature when the 4S was released. Apple stock is counting on it.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Have you seen how Apple packed in the inside of the iPhone 5? If Apple can put in an A7 with even more powerful processing power and GPU, all the new wifi chip and various LTE bands, while still maintaining same battery life, I call that innovation. There are many innovations being done in miniaturization, silicon, etc. I mean is innovation mean a new form factor?

Most people get their iPhone with 2 year carrier contract. This is why Apple does these S versions, to target those with the previous S versions that are nearing the end of their contracts.

It's innovation, but there's nothing disruptive about it. I think when most people talk about innovation, they really mean market disruption

Darkhrse99

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
New Mexico
Anyone excited for the iPhone 5s?

I am, just for the fact that I'm bored with my 4S. With not being able to jailbreak the phone, since I'm on 6.0.1. It's pretty boring after you get done playing with Siri.. I'm also am waiting for my upgrade which is in May. The iphone 5 isnt worth full retail imo. I do hope that Mophie comes out with an external battery at the same time, or I hope the 5S has a better battery life.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
A lot of people feel the same way with the current iPhone 5. Apple needs to offer something better than a 13mp camera, A7 or even a new 128MB capacity. Something better than Siri, which was the new, big feature when the 4S was released. Apple stock is counting on it.

What Apple needs to do is make improvements to the OS and ofter a larger screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.