iPhone 5S screen backlight

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pkeynote, Oct 29, 2013.

1. pkeynote macrumors newbie

Hi, as I noticed that the top of my iPhone 5S is lightly darker than the bottom, the led stripe that lits the screen is there right?

2. pkeynote thread starter macrumors newbie

3. krspkbl macrumors 6502

krspkbl

A common issue with the iPhone (as far back as the 4S) is where the top of the screen has uneven backlight. It appears as multiple "spotlights". dark > light > dark > light > dark > light.

Here is a photo of what it is i'm trying to describe but at the bottom of the screen on a laptop. It isn't this obvious on an iphone screen but the issue is definitely present:

[​IMG]

If that's what you are referring to then it's completely normal. Both 4S devices I owned had this issue and every 5S I've used has had this issue to certain degree. It might be really noticeable on one device but hardly noticeable on another.

Either way, if this is what you are referring to or not, I'd recommend visiting the genius bar to try get a replacement. One side of your screen should not be brighter/darker than the other and as for the "spotlight" issue, if it bothers you, you might get a device that doesn't make it as noticeable.

4. pkeynote, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

pkeynote thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it's barely noticeable, as it's not much difference. And as you say it's normal a replacement won't solve it right?

5. Applemikee macrumors newbie

I noticed this too with my new 5s...the bottom seems slightly brighter than the top of the screen! Would this be from the back-lighting? Are the back-lights located on the top or bottom of the screen? I don't think that part of the question was originally answered.

6. MacSter2011 macrumors member

Had this issue with 4s. The top of the screen was very noticeably darker, and I was able to get an exchange from the apple store. Now I have a 5s and i see it again but much less prominent, not sure I can convince them to exchange it now. 4s issue was definitely alot more noticeable.