iPhone 5s screen contrast. Is this software or hardware issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snacksfarlin, Nov 13, 2013.

1. snacksfarlin macrumors newbie

Good morning,

The last week or so of using my month old 5s phone I have noticed that sometimes it appears the contrast is jacked up so the entire screen, the icons, photos, etc... all appear faded. It usually happens when I swipe upward on control center to pause a song and then swipe downwards. (You can kinda what I'm talking about when control center is up and the topmost app icons of the background are faded. everything stays like that when I swipe back down)

Auto brightness is disabled and adjusting the brightness manually to max and min does nothing. It eventually fixes itself after a minute or two.

Just wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this. I will probably just reinstall the os to see if it fixes it but curious to see if it could be hardware and then need to make the trek to the apple store.

Thanks for any replies :)

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

iPhone 5s screen contrast. Is this software or hardware issue?

I doubt it's hardware, that fading is def software related and mine is fine, the change is virtually instantaneous.

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

As usual, do a fresh restore and if that doesn't fix it then is hardware.

4. snacksfarlin thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,

The icons, backgrounds, any open applications, safari, etc ...would all appear in this faded, dull color set but eventually "fix" itself after five minutes or so. Everything would then be the vibrant colors of ios7. It would then repeat the same dull colors while using the phone after another few minutes. It's similar to a loose monitor connection on the back of a computer tower.

The dull colors continued after a reset and today I noticed all of my home screen icons were ghosted on what should have been the black shut down screen. When shutting down there are also numerous vertical and spaced lines the length of the screen.

I was curious if anyone else was experiencing this as well. I've never dropped the phone and it still looks brand new. Apple decided a product replacement was in order so a new phone is en route.

5. Jacob SMITH macrumors member

I think its a problem of hardware though I've not faced this type of issue

6. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Hardware issue for sure. Hopefully you won't have to wait too much for the replacement.

7. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Definitely hardware.