iPhone 5s screen replacement (by myself)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ionjohn, Mar 11, 2014.

1. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Hey guys

I just bought a used iphone 5s, there were no pictures showing the device and I haven't received it yet but the description said deep scratches on screen, so yeah I guess the screen is pretty messed up and I'm gonna have to change it. Now I can't go to apple 'cause it's too expensive and it would actually cost me more than buying a brand new iphone 5s from apple. I've had iphones since the 3G but never ever opened it or anything to change the screen. The thing is, I've seen 5S screen replacement at like $120+ and some really cheap like 20 bucks. What the hell? Can anybody clear things up a bit?

Thanks!

2. IndoX macrumors regular

The part for the 5S does not exist yet - hence why you can't do it at Apple. If you knowingly replace the display with something 3rd party, be prepared to void your coverage and service at any Apple retail store. 3rd party display anyways come with different cables, stickers or QR codes.

If you're prepared to completely void service - go ahead and change it. Otherwise I'd stay shell out the cost at Apple because you don't know what issues you'll encounter in the future that could possibly be covered under warranty - only to be denied service because of a 3rd party display.

This is why you always get Applecare+

3. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

Opening the 5s is tricky because the of finger print sensor cable connection. There's videos showing this and someone invented a tool designed specifically for opening it. It's sold on ifixit. I forget what it's called. Looks like a clamp with two suction cups. Your bigger obstacle is availability of parts. If you can find a shop that can separate the LCD display from the glass, you could potentially spend less than $100, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Separating the display and regluing onto new glass requires specialized tools that are necessary for a quality job. Wait to see the phone and determine how bad the scratches really are. They might be bearable.

4. ionjohn thread starter macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Yeah, I'll wait to see how bad it is and if it's worth keeping, I'll post some pictures here.

5. nox5 macrumors 6502

Aftermarket screen have many issues wrong colors dead pixels that show up later on not properly glued etc.

Removing clip on 5s home button connector is very easy it just pops up with a flat screwdriver

6. ionjohn thread starter macrumors 65816

ionjohn

So you saying I should pay a premium price?

7. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Um, yes? That's what he's saying. It sucks Apple is so expensive, but...the quality cannot be beat. Cheaper short-term, more worries long-term.

8. hockeyman94 macrumors regular

No you shouldn't because those prices are ridiculous. If your worried about quality and what not buy from one of my suppliers ipart2.com I have always had no trouble with them

9. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

No matter what, you'll have those saying to have repairs done by Apple or through another source that is cheaper.

If you want a quality repair that will last in the long run, do a repair through Apple.

If you don't want to spend nearly as much, do a repair through a cheaper source or purchase 3rd party parts and do it yourself. However, as others mentioned, issues can arise through 3rd party parts (not saying parts from Apple won't have a problem).

There are pros and cons to both sides... Nothing beats having a repair by the original company.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Just remember:

Not saying you can't get decent quality third party parts, but the reduced price has inherent costs in terms of the risks and the time/effort to identify a good quality third party supplier vs. the others. You'll need to decide which is best for you, and that depends on how much you value the price difference.

11. blarivee macrumors 6502

A side note, when Apple replaces the screen, they also redo the calibration of the display.

12. ionjohn thread starter macrumors 65816

ionjohn

I paid $500 for the phone and a screen replacement is 270$ so yeah Going to apple is not even an option

13. deeddawg, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014

deeddawg macrumors 604

In that case, return the phone and void the transaction if you can.

If you can't, then the $500 is a sunk cost and is therefore irrelevant. You own a phone that needs a screen replacement. Do you spend $270 for Apple to do it and retain the warranty, or do you go with an alternate less expensive option.

Your best bet for useful feedback would be to provide the specific parts suppliers or repair options you're considering and get people's feedback on those particular options. Given such a vague question you'll not likely get actionable guidance.

14. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Go to apple
    If you haven't replaced a screen before now isn't a good place to start.
    Think how bad you'll feel if you break it

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah, you overpaid.
    And who buys a device without even looking at it and with not even pictures to get an idea what he's paying for?
    Next time be smarter about it...

16. ionjohn thread starter macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Yeah i know that was dumb of me, I'll post pictures when I get it (monday) and I'll decide what I do then

----------

Maybe I can try to get them to replace the phone for another reason than the screen

17. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

$500 for a phone with a very damaged screen wow, someones laughing all the way to the bank.

18. ionjohn thread starter macrumors 65816

ionjohn

It was 430 but those ****** added taxes but yeah, even 430 is too much but people kept bidding

19. ionjohn thread starter macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Alright guys, I got the phone, I'll post some pictures later, I'm currently downloading iOS 7.1, it looks almost new, there's like 1 noticeable scratch on the screen, at the left bottom so it's nothing worth changing a screen for.

I'm kinda pissed though, it said I'd get earpods but there's nothing in the box besides the phone and the wall adapter

20. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

hey, I would gladly take the phone in better condition than you were expecting.

21. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Likely a small scratch like that will be overlooked by a genius if you ever have to get your phone replaced for another reason.

22. ionjohn thread starter macrumors 65816

ionjohn

It's currently locked to telus, I'll try to see if it can be unlocked.

----------

yeah, I hope so!

23. ionjohn thread starter macrumors 65816

ionjohn

That's the one noticeable scratch! You can see the second one near the home button

Attached Files:

24. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

Pfft! Those scratches are nothing! In fact, they give the phone character. Like battle scars. Like how an X Wing looks better with blast marks. Congrats!