iPhone 5S speaker inferior to 4 ?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Peter Franks, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Peter Franks, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013

Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Is this the nature of the phone or a fault that the music playing from speaker is largely inferior to my old iPhone 4? Was much more substantial and not as tinny. More bottom end etc.

Lighter and thinner at expense of speaker maybe? Just wondered.

Even the email sent swoosh is tinny now

2. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

I think so too. My new iPhone's speaker definitely is quieter than the 4/4s speakers

3. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

But it's really piercing and tinny in comparison? For me anyway

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

OTOH there are BT speakers everywhere now, you can buy a set for every room, and BAM, big (relatively speaking) sound.

5. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

True, but was a bit surprised the sound has been downgraded. Wasn't like the 4 was too heavy or thick, but assume its inferior sound now is because of the lighter thinner design of 5S

6. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

My iPhone 5 is thin but has much better speaker sound than my iPad Mini-r. I'm also still running iOS 6 on the iPhone but the iPad Mini-r came with iOS 7 installed.

The difference in speaker sound between the two devices is significant, whatever the cause. I can barely hear the Mini email update sound even with the volume turned up all the way.

7. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

That's weird!

Even typing this, the click is so tinny. Wish there was a way to separate volume of email swoosh/pings, and typing clicks from the ringer volume.

Surprised it's better than the mini though. Only thing the 4 had that was better than 5S was speaker sound. Assume the 5 speaker was the same as the 5S.

8. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

My iPhone 5 was pre-ordered at the first possible opportunity and was in the first batch delivered on 09/21/2012 Launch Day. Perhaps that speaker hardware was different (read: more robust) than what was installed in iPhone 5s models a year later.

FWIW, my iPad 4 also has better speakers than the iPad Mini-r. The Mini-r sound reminds me of a tinny old transistor radio. Earbuds make it normal quality.

9. Frau Blücher macrumors newbie

I have actually found the 5S speaker far superior to the 4/4S and even the 5
    Alerts are loud and clear.

10. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Re: Alerts, That's because they're tinnier I'd think?

11. Frau Blücher macrumors newbie

We'll I should've also posted that I think all sound is clearer and louder. Including music.

However I originally did a restore from back up from my 5 and found them muddled. After a clean install it was like might and day. Take from that what you will.

12. 24hrpizza macrumors member

We agree to louder?

Consensus is the speaker in the 5S is louder? I have an upgrade soon!

13. speed4tu macrumors member

I was thinking the same thing

14. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Luck of the draw then. My 5S speaker is definitely inferior to my 4.

Louder or not, it's cheap and tinny sounding. I've been using the 4 for almost 3 years so I am very used to it and only had the 5S a couple of days.

15. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I don't know what your doing but the other day I was playing a song on my iPhone 4 and it was on full blast as a joke my friend took out there 5s and we started the song at the same time. My phone could no longer be herd cuz there was so much louder.

16. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

I've never said anything about volume. It's quality.

17. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Oh. well I did't hear anything wrong with it.

18. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

19. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

This. ^^

With the exception of speaker phone calls, I know very few people who rely exclusively on the internal speakers for quality music and video audio. Same goes for notebook computers and tablets. Majority use BT speakers or headsets.

Personally, this is not a feature in any mobile device that affects my experience. I'm sure for a small minority it's a real itch in the jock strap though.