iPhone 5S specs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cameljockey, Jun 16, 2013.

1. cameljockey macrumors member

2. iAndyPham macrumors newbie

iPhone 5S is rumoured to have A7 chip, better GPU, 13 MP camera, dual flash, 1.5-2GB RAM, x2 resolution resulting in x1.414 ppi (or 461 ppi), fingerprint scanning. Battery life, screen size, design should be more or less the same. It should be an iPhone 5 with slight hardware upgrade, so I might skip it until iPhone 6 comes out, which is rumoured to have 4.7-5.7 inch screen (which is what we exactly need).

3. james1758 macrumors regular

james1758

Same here, I'll be waiting till the iPhone 6 comes out!

4. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Your waiting for the faster faster phone because your phone is fast enough?

5. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Unless I'm an idiot, you believe a new processor, new GPU, new camera, dual flash, more RAM and a higher resolution screen is a slight hardware upgrade?

I'm not saying I believe all these things are coming, but say they are, it's NOT slight hardware upgrade. It's basically an entire new phone!

6. ea9 macrumors regular

There comes a point when all hardware upgrades are meaningless without a bigger display and more software options.

It used to be common for people to want to upgrade their (non-gaming) PC's every couple of years. I bought my i7 920 in late 2008 and I feel like it does everything I need perfectly. However, a new screen with better colors and high resolution is something I'll actually notice.

2GB of ram, more MP's, faster faster faster is meaningless when what do you need is a good browsing, emailing, urban spooning and skype machine.

Just saying, since the 4S all these hardware changes for me anyways are meaningless. the iPhone 4 couldn't open big PDF files that I needed to view on a regular basis, it would take 2-3mins to load and god forbid I rotated the screen.
    The 4S fixed that for me, and the 5 gave me a big more real estate. That's all :(

I need better software that's more interconnected and a bigger display. That's just me.

7. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I agree about the software side, but that's it. So you're telling me that a faster processor, better graphics performance, better quality camera etc are meaningless without a bigger screen :confused:

8. cynics macrumors G3

I think its going to be like a 4S upgrade with proprietary software like the 4S got with Siri.

The other extreme is a very similar phone with a bigger screen although I find this unlikely.

Anything in between really won't give anyone a reason to upgrade IMO. If its a faster processor, GPU, more ram etc without a bigger screen or a really cool piece of software it will just be a faster 5 which is already more then fast enough. What's the point of that? I'd just stick with my 4S again.

9. CityOfDelusion macrumors newbie

CityOfDelusion

I just hope the screen isn't bigger. I think I'm the only person who's ever liked the iPhone screen size. The iPhone has always been a perfect fit for my pockets and does everything I need it to. Apple should just make 3 different sizes. Either have the iPhone 5 Size be the default, the iPhone 4S the small size, and make a bigger version, the biggest size. I think the size options would attract a lot of people.

10. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

In addition to the above, I'm looking forward to support of 801.11ac for faster WiFi.

11. cynics macrumors G3

Or screen more screen onto a 5!

12. iAndyPham macrumors newbie

On paper, they sound like some real deal, but face it, iPhone 5 is already fast and good enough. I can live with my iPhone 5 just fine.

Most Apple folks I know don't give a damn about phone specs, as long as it runs decently. IMHO, Apple should give at least 3 iPhone versions with different screen sizes to satisfy customers' needs (I crave for a 5-5.5" model) and upgrade the battery. My Note 2, iPad 2 and iPad Mini can last for 2 days whilst I doubt iPhone 5 can last past 24 hours with moderate usage.

13. CharismaticNerd macrumors regular

CharismaticNerd

Will it be able to use t mobile without unlock?

14. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

Apple would be insane to discontinue the 4" screen, but IMHO they have a lot to gain by adding a larger screened phone to the iDevice family. Every other phone maker and mobile OS developer has proven it can be done, and Apple has more resources than most of them combined...they have no excuse for being unable to make it work. Simply put, Apple needs a larger phone. I am an Apple fanboy but as I get older I start wishing the text on my screen was bigger and I don't want to go to Android. I hope Apple doesn't force me to. 4.5" - 4.7" screen is all I'm asking for.

15. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

so what generation will iPhone meet the mini iPad size? lmao

16. ea9 macrumors regular

Exactly what I'm saying. Up until now I've always upgraded my phone each year
    Countless blackberries iphone 4-4s-5

Reasons to upgrade my iPhone 5
    1.5-2x battery life
    Bigger screen
    Some insane software
    Crazy camera improvement

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a phablet lover but 4.5 to 4.7 is a very sweet spot

That's it....for me anyways

17. j0han macrumors 6502

j0han

My reason to 5S. Is Android!

Looking forward to own a iPhone again, having a S2 and a S3, well the phones are great, but the engine they running it on.. Batterylife sucks (have to run 3rd part apps to kill wifi/gps/low light on screen to maintain a good batterylife). Quality of the apps are really... ¤&¤"¤""&#&!!"%%..

Can it be September soon?!?!!

18. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

If the MacBook Airs are any indication, I would hope that they have significantly better battery life. 12 hours advertised, which in reality would be about 10 hours.

Although there is no Haswell to help them here, maybe a significantly smaller nanometer processor? But the only real way would maybe just a bigger batter somehow or some amazing improvement in battery tech.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Seriously another one of these threads?

Do specs really matter that much? It's going to be faster. It'll run iOS 7 like a hot knife through butter. And there is will scratches.

20. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

You'll have to wait until 2014 for a larger phone.

21. Minarets macrumors 6502

What is a fingerprint scanner? I keep seeing that. Like instead of swipe to unlock?

22. cynics macrumors G3

Supposedly yes. Instead of a passcode you can use your fingerprint as rumors have it.

Personally I don't put a lot of faith in that. People think because government agencies use fingerprints to identify people its a secure technology that can't be easily bypassed, which isn't true at all. Facial recognition with a lifeness check is more secure albeit slow. A long passcode is much more secure. A fingerprint scanner on a phone to me is just a gimmick. I can't see Apple putting a lot of resources into a tech that will more then likely be slower to unlock the phone and potentially less secure. That would actually persuade me to not get a 5S and go for the 5 or another brand.

23. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

Probably gonna be similar to iPhone 5, but with some faster hardware. I seriously think that those who own iPhone 4 and 4S should skip 5 and 5S.

24. cynics macrumors G3

I've been very happy with my 4S and I'm hoping the 5S treats me the same. There is nothing Apple can really do to make me regret getting the 5S.

Bigger screen? 5 has a bigger screen then my 4S so I don't care about that.

Faster? 5 is faster then my 4S

Camera? 5 is better

Etc etc.

Maybe if they added NFC I'd be a little jealous but that's about it.