Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AceC

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
98
1
I've noticed whenever I'm charging my iPhone 5S and I go to touch the home button, sometimes it gives me a little static electricity shock. It's happened a few various times when I've touched the charger (plug in to phone part) while unhooked. Also, if I touch the screen, it occasionally gives me a shock too. The phone is in an otterbox, if that makes any difference.

Of course, I always have a lot of static electricity lately and all. So is more a matter of me, or the phone? And it only happens when charging.

Is this normal?
 

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
4,974
68
Of course, I always have a lot of static electricity lately and all.
That would do it. The iPhone can't prevent static for you. Touch something else to discharge first if this is a problem. Increasing humidity may help to reduce the generation of static electricity.
 

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
1,037
487
Ohio
It happens when charging because the voltage is able to jump to ground via the power cord. My house is extremely dry in the winter and I'm always zapping stuff. I'm surprised I haven't killed anything electronic yet. I do try to touch a metal object before picking up my laptop or unplug my charging phone.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.