iPhone 5S to iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chad H, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Hey guys,
    Just going to ask opinions on this. I currently have an iPhone 5S. I've had an iPhone 5 and even a iPhone 5C temporarily. I'm honestly debating on going to a iPhone 4S. I can get one brand new 64GB with AT&T for pretty cheap. Something about the screen and form factor makes it the best phone I've ever used. Since the iPhone 5 came out I've never really liked it. I'm always switching cases and other useless stuff. Something about it being lighter and longer just doesn't fit me. My question is do you think the 4S will hinder me that much? I don't game on my phone often aside from Tetris and Flappy Bird(I know, I know). I mainly call, text, take photo's, and use social networking. Instagram, FB, and twitter. I honestly check ESPN more than I do anything. I'll be losing LTE but will still have 4G. Anyway, enough rambling, just looking for thoughts. Thanks! :)

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

Seems like you've pretty much justified it. Perhaps you can find other means to purchase the 4S, instead of going through ATT. : )

3. Paddle1 macrumors 68040

If you want a 4S you can get one, but you might be surprised at the difference.

4. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Haha, you're actually kind of right. I'm just wondering if it would be that slow or be frustrating.

5. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Once you get used to the slower speed of the 4S you will be fine as long as you never use anything faster, even briefly.

6. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

The 4S was my first Apple product and I will always remember it for being faster and smoother than any phone I had ever used prior to that. Given your reasons for the downgrade, if you can call it that, I don't think you'll be frustrated. The 4S is a very nice phone, IMHO.

7. TWD98j macrumors regular

I had a 4S from launch day in 2011 until last Sept when I upgraded to my 5S. Near the end of the contract for the 4S, the phone started to feel long in the tooth to me. Screen very small, battery horrible, only had "4G" with no LTE option.

Now the 5S is the fresh breath of air and after upgrading to it, going back to a 4S isn't a transition I could fathom making, personally. But in the end, it's all a matter of preference I suppose.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm using a 4S and I don't have any real problems with it. All of the apps I use are still reasonably fast on it; I get more frustrated with the network speed but that's only because my operator has too many customers and not enough spectrum :)

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

If you decide to get 4S then you won't be disappointed. It is the best 4S I ever owned! :apple:

10. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

One thing to consider is when iOS 8 comes out later this year the 4S might start becoming sluggish (of course this all depends on how much Apple feels like optimising iOS 8 for the 4S).

11. rockitdog macrumors 68020

The only downside to using a 4S it that you'll most likely get one more OS update and that's probably it. In another couple of years it won't support the newest apps and you'll be limited to the apps you have.

12. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

I honestly can't stand the performance of iOS7 on my roommate's 4S.. Have you tried it out? Very slow IMO (even with 7.1)

13. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Don't forget to look towards the future. When iOS 8 comes out it will get slower. It probably won't get iOS 9 I'm very very sure of that.

14. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

Since the iPhone 4 got iOS 7, it stands to reason that the 4S would get iOS 9.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

How so? Based on that it would seem that 4S should get iOS 8, but it doesn't seem to imply much when it comes to iOS 9.

16. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

iPhone 4 had iOS 4,5,6,7
    iPhone 4S should have 5,6,7,8
    That's how this is going to work so 4s isn't getting iOS 9

17. Russiaone macrumors 6502

The 4S is still one helluva phone. I had mine for almost two years and that sucker still flies... even with 7.04.

However, that little bit of extra screen real estate means a lot more to me than i ever knew.

One thing, though. I really don't see a huge increase in overall speed with normal apps. But i digress.

As a first responder mentioned, you've already convinced yourself.

Go forth and be merry.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

It could potentially be different for 4S as it has a much better CPU that is dual core and a better GPU so it might allow it to pull through an extra OS update than previous versions, but, yeah it's not likely (especially since Apple mostly bases which devices get upgrades on what they are still selling at the time of the upgrade's public release).

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The only problem I have using my older iPhones is the screen really. I'm so used to the 16:9 display that I feel like something is missing.

20. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

I just updated from a 4 and the 4s is lightning quickly comparison. Everyone who said this was a minor update was wrong.

21. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

I gave up my 4S for a 5S. Mistake on my part.

The 4S was built better and I liked the size. And for some reason my 5S screen is not as responsive and I have to reboot it about once a week. This could be software though.

All I know is my 4S with both IOS 6 and 7 ran better than my 5S.

22. suprakc macrumors regular

Go 64 bit

Splurge and get a 64 Gig 5s, IMO. That's what I did. It rocks.

Either way... remember that 5s has a few important things that make everything next to it completely obsolete - even partially the new iPad air, etc...

1. 64 Bit - Apps will be utilizing this, and progressively more so over the next 12-24 months.

2. Touch ID - This is where even iPad gets run over by iPhone. It will be a standard in mobile devices within 6 months because of Samsung (and their copycat mindset).

Ironically, nobody gives apple respect for creating these standards, and introducing them so flawlessly. Honestly, within six months, these two things that Apple has standardized already - will become "standardized" again by everybody else.

Think about iPhone 6 for a minute... I don't know what it will look like, nor do I care at this point, as I am a happy 5s owner. But I can guarantee it will include those two elements, and so will iPhone's biggest competitor from Samsung.

On a side note, 120 frame per second video for slow motion is really cool. It kicks my DSLR's butt in that sense. Even the f/2 aperture for camera shots is really great quality for a phone camera, and looks great air played on my TV.

23. kevroc macrumors 6502

The 4S was always my favorite model. I went back to it because I found a good deal on one, $249 I think for the 64gb in like new condition and couldn't pass it up. It's not quite as fast as the 5 naturally, but its fast enough for most things and once you start using it you probably won't notice a difference. I've also read the 4S is the best for audio if you're into that over the 5 / 5S. It will always be a classic IMHO.

24. cynics macrumors G4

Lol.... Maybe once iOS 7.1 GM is publicly available. Right now I'd hardly call 64 bit iOS devices "flawless".