iphone 5s to iphone X set up help please

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zigourney, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Zigourney macrumors regular

I all, my iphone X is being delivered at 2pm today - wooop! Got upgraded from 13-20Nov to today! I am upgrading from an iphone 5s (ios 10.3.3) Obviously its been years since I bought a new iphone and just wondered what's the best way to set it up from new. My current iphone 5s is backed up to icloud, (I pay for the extra storage 50GB) and nothing is saved on my desktop or iTunes.

1) Please can someone post the best order to set up my sim free iphone X, update to the latest ios version and get everything transferred over to the X from the 5s.

2) Once everything is transferred over - I would like to keep my current iphone 5s for work use, so still want everything to remain as it is on the 5s too. So will I be able to switch between phones quite easily?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I still prefer a full encrypted iTune back up. It is fast and complete. iCloud will also do it but not near as fast.

As far as switching phones you will need to move the SIM card each time, into the phone you want to use.

3. QquegChristian macrumors 6502

No idea about switching back and forth but Apple has got upgrading phones down to about as painless as possible. If you’ve got the old phone backed up to iCloud you are good. It will walk you through it. My X had me point it at the old phone to steal the old phone’s soul, basically. Tho that might’ve been a NFC thing only for Apple Pay phones. Did they have that on 5S?

4. Zigourney thread starter macrumors regular

I saw here on a previous thread how to best update the iphone x to the latest ios first and then delete everything and then start over again? is that right? I cant find that thread now, but it had a nice step by step guide on the order to do it.

The 5s doesn't have NFC.

5. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

That’s right. Do the minimum set up, meaning language and WiFi, skipping as much else as it’ll let you, then update to 11.1 as soon as you can.

Once you’ve updated to 11.1, reset all settings, then start over, adding your iCloud info and backing up from the cloud.

That’s if your 5s is on 11.1 already.

6. Jjayf macrumors 6502

Backup your 5s to iCloud. Put the sim in your x and fire it up. Follow the prompts, sign in with your Apple ID, update the X to 11.1. I believe everything should download automatically. If not you can choose to restore from an iCloud back up. Make sure the X is connected to WiFi and charging or it will not download photos.

7. Zigourney thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to the above posters.

Do I need to update my iphone 5s to 11.1? I would rather not update the 5s, it is currently on 10.3.3 and I want to keep it on 10.3.3 as it runs so smoothly.

Also because the 5s is an old phone and I don't want to slow it down anymore that it already is.

8. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

I plugged my iPhone X into safari and restored it as new. This way iOS 11.1 was installed fresh rather than an OTA update patch.

Then I turned on iCloud, and everything synced to my phone. The only thing I had to do was download a few apps I use and enter my email account info (besides the iCloud email account that synced when I logged in).