iPhone 5s to Printer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by martosprint, Dec 14, 2013.

1. martosprint macrumors 6502

Can you send something/text from the iPhone to a wireless printer and do you have to add software to the iPhone to do that?
    thanks for a reply

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

The printer must specifically be AirPrint compatible.

3. martosprint thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay Tyler thanks for the reply. Yes my printer is AirPrint compatible, so I think I will give it a shot.

4. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Just a note: If you have a Mac, Printopia works pretty well to print to any printer.

5. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

When you try to print, it will prompt you to select your printer. If you don't see it, it is either not AirPrint compatible or you're not on the same WiFi as the printer.

6. iPodJedi, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013

iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

No you need an airprinter. Its just because apple wants to make an extra buck off you. All wireless printers and ios devices have the built in tech nology to print wirelessly but apple has the restrictions turned on.., theres no way to bypass it and it sucks.

7. 1DApple macrumors member

So does your typing. :D

Edit: Or maybe should I say autocorrect.

8. martosprint thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replies, I tried it yesterday and it didn't work. I was using the LTE and not wifi. Then I read pharmscott's post saying both the iPhone and the printer have to be on wifi. I switched over the iPhone from LTE to wifi and I was able to send what I wanted to print to the printer and it worked.
    The only problem was that what I printed was from a small recipe for my wife and it took 3 pages with very big letters. How can I make it print regular size using the iPhone to printer? This is the printer: Epson Expression Home XP-410 Small-in-One™ All-in-One Printer
    thanks for a reply...

9. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

You need an air printer. Check in your user guide if your printer.

10. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

A quick search says maybe it's not possible to change font size: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3544200

Do you have the Epson app on your computer? Maybe poke around in the Settings to see if you find anything. Apparently HP printers can do this, maybe Epson has caught up since this above link. Good luck!

11. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

That was made clear about 28 hours before your post.

----------

Which app did you print from? Was it something you created or from zee web?

12. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

I realized that...I was post #6. I was just saying to check in the manual because I had forgotten to mention it...don't got to be so hostile

13. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Your Mac needs to be left on though. Which can be quite a bit of an inconvenience.

14. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

I didnt want to end up buying another printer plus I wanted to print from anywhere to any of my printers so I ended up using Printopia with following setup -

1. iMac with autosleep and WOL (Wake on Lan) trigger
    2. Printer always on (Goes to Sleep automatically)
    3. Opened all relevant ports inbound from Airport Express to the iMac
    4. Installed Chrome on iMac for Google Cloud Print
    5. Installed gCloud App on my iDevices

When home (same Wifi) I just print directly using Print option
    When outside (LTE), I share the doc to the gCloud app where it lists down all printers connected to Google via Chrome (iMac one also) and print the doc to my home printer.

When outside, I have to trigger the WOL first to wake up iMac though, it doesnt do on its own.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

This is one of those things that is baffling to me why Apple doesn't build an AirPrint server into OSX for those that would use it. There are third party options but they are clunky (especially those for windows). Why make me buy one of three (there are likely more than three but the numbers are low) crappy inkjet printer just so I can use AirPrint? I can already share a printer over the network through my Mac with other Macs, Windows, or even Linux (with some more work from the end user) systems. AirPrint? You have to download some crap software or buy a new printer.