Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
i'm sure a guide from ifixit for the iPhone 5 would result in a close disassemble like the 5S. Check that out or your not handy wait for a guide.

ughbrandon

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2013
Sometimes it's best not to ask questions...

The reason why.

I Got my IPhone 5S replaced by apple a week ago, because the last one had battery problems. The Touch ID on this one is pretty much defective, instead of driving back to my apple store, which is 2 hours away, for the fourth time. And instead of shipping it to apple which would probably take a week, and i dont want to take the chance of them saying "its perfectly fine" because it happens to work in the store, etc. I just want to replace the Touch ID myself.

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
The reason why.

I Got my IPhone 5S replaced by apple a week ago, because the last one had battery problems. The Touch ID on this one is pretty much defective, instead of driving back to my apple store, which is 2 hours away, for the fourth time. And instead of shipping it to apple which would probably take a week, and i dont want to take the chance of them saying "its perfectly fine" because it happens to work in the store, etc. I just want to replace the Touch ID myself.

In addition to what I said, just note that this will void the warranty on the phone. Why don't you call apple and explain this that way they can give you a ticket number or something an go straight to the apple store without having to explain yourself.

ughbrandon

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2013
In addition to what I said, just note that this will void the warranty on the phone. Why don't you call apple and explain this that way they can give you a ticket number or something an go straight to the apple store without having to explain yourself.

I would go to the apple store, I love it! its just that, Im 14, My Parents dont like driving for 2 hours for a 10-30 exchange, You know?
Actually lost my phone the last time i asked.

----------

Where can i create a ticket so i wont have to explain myself? This might persuade them.

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
I would go to the apple store, I love it! its just that, Im 14, My Parents dont like driving for 2 hours for a 10-30 exchange, You know?
Actually lost my phone the last time i asked.

----------

Where can i create a ticket so i wont have to explain myself? This might persuade them.

Ah ok I didn't realize you were that young. I would call Apple support and thououghly explain your situation to them and what it is or isn't doing if they understand the situation and can deem it a problem over the phone they may be able to call the apple store set you up with an appointment and just have them swap it. I had them do this for me back in the day (But only because I didn't feel like driving), whether or not they still do this is beyond me but give them a call.

ughbrandon

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2013
Ah ok I didn't realize you were that young. I would call Apple support and thououghly explain your situation to them and what it is or isn't doing if they understand the situation and can deem it a problem over the phone they may be able to call the apple store set you up with an appointment and just have them swap it. I had them do this for me back in the day (But only because I didn't feel like driving), whether or not they still do this is beyond me but give them a call.
Will do! I had a plan, Idk where the 5S is shipped when you send it out for service but what im going to try and do is call my "local" apple store, and see if i can send it to them, might be much faster

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Will do! I had a plan, Idk where the 5S is shipped when you send it out for service but what im going to try and do is call my "local" apple store, and see if i can send it to them, might be much faster

Well I would call Apple support directly let them do the work and deal with the stores if possible and not have to do all the work.

ughbrandon

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2013
Well I would call Apple support directly let them do the work and deal with the stores if possible and not have to do all the work.

Ive already done this twice "maybe your hands are wet?""ill send you a guide on how to use it," thats the one thing i dont like about their support, they dont think i know a lot of the products information

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
That is only the connector ribbon, not the sensor itself. If there is a problem, it's probably a problem with the sensor, not the cable.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Call Apple (not a store) and don't get off the phone until they agree to send you a replacement phone BEFORE you send them the defective phone. They do this all the time. You will need to give your credit card info.

Ripping apart your phone is nuts. Your warranty is void. You might screw it up. Then you have a $500 brick.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
Have you installed the update to 7.03? I have read many people are saying it helped with the touch ID problems.

ughbrandon

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2013
Have you installed the update to 7.03? I have read many people are saying it helped with the touch ID problems.

Yes i have 7.03, hasnt really helped.

----------

No problem. Does it not work at all, or just some of the time? Try deleting your prints and having it relearn them if you haven't already.

It hasnt worked at all for the past couple of hours. Works a lil in the morning, gradually stops near the end of the day. Ive already restored my phone a couple of times, and already re enrolled my fingers many times

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.