iPhone 5S touchscreen responds without touch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JacinTatt, Nov 16, 2013.

1. JacinTatt macrumors member

I got my iPhone 5S about a week ago, and today the touch screen has started to play up. In the bottom third of the display, the touch sensors seem to activate when I hover my finger above that area (but don't touch the display) and this causes rapid input over the area. For example if the keyboard comes up and I want to type, it will rapidly start inputting letters from the bottom two rows of keys. When I move my finger away it stops. It makes typing very difficult, and just using the device in general is incredibly hard now due to the random input that always occurs.

I've tried updating to the latest version of iOS 7, and rebooting the phone multiple times but the issue hasn't gone away. Is there any known fix for this? I tried googling it but the issue isn't coming up anywhere.

2. JacinTatt thread starter macrumors member

Nevermind, my phone is a brick now. I tried to restore it, and after the restore it went into a neverending bluescreen loop like this:

1. Apple logo appears
    2. Screen goes blue
    3. Phone shuts down
    4. Phone boots
    5. Repeat.

I put it into DFU to restore it, and after the restore the blue screen loop is still there. I cannot get past the startup apple logo. The phone is screwed.

Unless anyone knows how to fix it, might as well just take it back...

3. thizzinG macrumors member

Mine did that too. DFU Restore is supposed to work. But I took mine to the Genius Bar just to be on record. I asked her how she fixed and she said they restored it under a certain state. I replied, "DFU?" And she looked at me and said yep.

4. JacinTatt thread starter macrumors member

I've managed to break my 5S out of its blue screen loop, but the touch screen issue is still just as prominent as before. It's next to impossible to compose text messages or dial numbers. Not to mention whenever I go to the home screen it automatically opens either the phone app or safari thanks to the constant input.

I've DFU restored twice, every time it blue screen loops, and after I eventually break out of it, it has the touch issues. A restore from a backup causes the blue screen loop as well.

It's rooted. Calling Apple tomorrow for an express replacement.

5. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

It definitely isn't a software issue ... Take it back

6. kuhtang macrumors regular

I also had this but never did the restore as documented here (glad I didnt :|). I found that the touch input was so bad while typing (L's became M's or I's) and there was a time when it would do the rapid letter input like you talked about. Also had the hovering issue while scrolling.

I just started the mail-in process, hoping I don't go phoneless for too long.