Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chewyboy0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2014
Ok, so I think that the prices they charge for factory unlocked iPhones are CRAZY $200 for an ATT iPhone when unlocked is How much? OH yeah $649 freaking dollars :eek: so I was wondering if I bought a ATT iPhone from apple if I could unlock it myself (I don't care if I have to pay a 1-30 $ fee to unlock) without signing up for ATT and it being able to work with Straight Talk wireless?

Thanks!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Ok, so I think that the prices they charge for factory unlocked iPhones are CRAZY $200 for an ATT iPhone when unlocked is How much? OH yeah $649 freaking dollars :eek: so I was wondering if I bought a ATT iPhone from apple if I could unlock it myself (I don't care if I have to pay a 1-30 $ fee to unlock) without signing up for ATT and it being able to work with Straight Talk wireless?

Thanks!
LOL. Where are you getting your third party unlock prices from? Most of them are upwards of $100.

As to StraightTalk, no idea how that would work.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

Thanks!

you still pay $649 it just gets woven in to your service.... AT&T is just subsidizing up front cost of the phone to lock you in for 2 years.. So you probably end up paying over $1,000 over the course of 2 years for a $649 phone. just that you pay it monthly over time and its woven in to your phone bill. Unless you go with one of those new financing options like NEXT where you just pay the price of the phone monthly and the bill is cheaper. Either way you still pay $649

chewyboy0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2014
Yeah I thought unlocks were expensive and hard to get too lol

----------

----------

you still pay $649 it just gets woven in to your service.... AT&T is just subsidizing up front cost of the phone to lock you in for 2 years.. So you probably end up paying over $1,000 over the course of 2 years for a $649 phone. just that you pay it monthly over time and its woven in to your phone bill.

No, I'm not in the mood for a contract service. Straight Talk is a prepaid service so I can get the money each month to buy it and if I don't have enough cash to pay a month then they don't penalize you for that and you can just use it on Wi-Fi for a month. So if I only pay $40 for one month once I unlock it, I don't have to pay for another month unless I want to, therefore I wouldn't be paying like $600. (I'm very clever aren't I?) I would be paying about $275 for an iPhone 5s

Last edited:

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

----------

----------

No, I'm not in the mood for a contract service. Straight Talk is a prepaid service so I can get the money each month to buy it and if I don't have enough cash to pay a month then they don't penalize you for that and you can just use it on Wi-Fi for a month

if you buy an AT&T iphone for $200 you will be locked in to a contract...... They're not just going to sell you an iPhone for $200 lol. you either pay the full $649 or you sign a contract for the reduced price.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
iPhone 5s unlock

----------

----------

No, I'm not in the mood for a contract service. Straight Talk is a prepaid service so I can get the money each month to buy it and if I don't have enough cash to pay a month then they don't penalize you for that and you can just use it on Wi-Fi for a month. So if I only pay $40 for one month once I unlock it, I don't have to pay for another month unless I want to, therefore I wouldn't be paying like $600. (I'm very clever aren't I?) I would be paying about $275 for an iPhone 5s

That's the subsidized price of the phone, with contract (even if you buy from the Apple store). You're not gonna get the phone for $200 with no strings attached.

chewyboy0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2014
I am derp... :mad:

----------

Grrr I wish it didn't work like this xD

----------

Hrmmm. What if I bought a new iPhone 5s from ebay...

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Buy a used iPhone 5s when the 6 comes out in a couple of months. Probably around $500 then.

You can't get a subsidized phone for less than the phone retails for no matter how you figure it. Phone companies aren't giving them away.

Warning, plenty of too good to be true used iPhones deals turn into bricks just after you buy them and they cannot be activated.

VulcanHybrid

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2014
You don't need to unlock one for straight talk. If it's an apple from the apple store or one from AT&T then straight talk has a SIM already to support AT&T or unlocked compatible GSM phones

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
A cautionary warning on "discount" unlocking services.

A lot of these sites are complete scams. You'd be better served to pay more for a reliable/verified unlocking service if you choose that route. And now that it's legal to unlock phones we should see more unlocking options and cheaper prices in general. :apple::apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.