iPhone 5s unlocked question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Palliser, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Palliser macrumors regular

I'm sorry if this has been asked someone else but I couldn't find it searching.

I just paid off and had T-Mobile unlock my iPhone 5s. I unlocked it doing the restore in iTunes and got the unlock successful screen.

This phone can of course be used on T-Mobile and on AT&T from what I've read.

But would this phone also work on Verizon and or Sprint?

Thanks in advance, I'm a bit new to unlocking.

Pal

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Even though the hardware on the AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon iPhone 5s is the same, Verizon won't activate non-Verizon phones on their network, so it won't work there. The sprint model is actually different hardware, so it won't work there either.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Others can tell you more about the hardware, but I'll just mention the policys Verizon and Sprint have.

Neither Verizon or Sprint will activate any phone they did not sell or that was not intended for their network. Now, with Verizon you can get around this by inserting an already active SIM, but that trick does not work on Sprint.

Sprint has the IMEIs of every phone for it's network (including those of it's MVNOs) and if your IMEI is not in the whitelist (as it would be if Sprint had sold you the phone or Apple had sold you a Sprint phone) then you get no service.

Rumor: There is current talk about Sprint allowing BYOD, but the last info I have on that is that it has been delayed indefinetely. So, even if you wanted Sprint they will still not activate it - currently.

4. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

the 5s doesn't have its CDMA radio enabled. so thats another reason it wouldn't work on verizon or sprint

5. Palliser thread starter macrumors regular

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Like said above.
    Only on GSM carriers.
    Not on Sprint or Verizon.