iPhone 5s Updates?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ksubi, May 17, 2013.

1. Ksubi, May 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2013

Ksubi macrumors member

Really confused right now on what's going on at the moment for iPhone 5s. I see so many different, [BS] results from Google. What is the correct update for the iPhone 5S so far?

My contract for the iPhone 4 has expired this month and I'm not sure if I should go ahead get the 5 or wait for the 5s. I've waited long enough...

2. Ksubi thread starter macrumors member

3. cynics macrumors G3

Most will expect an updated 5. Will likely have a piece of software that the 5 does not get.

4. AppleMark, May 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2015

AppleMark macrumors 6502a

AppleMark

Maybe it is because you have answered your own question.

You have an iPhone 4 which although the contract has expired, but you do not say that it is non-functional.

Therefore I cannot see the issue in having to either buy a new iPhone 5 now, or waiting for the 5s.

The 5s will be out this year that is a certainty, only somebody not 'in the know' or needing a new phone desperately would buy a 5 now. I am not sure which one of these people you are based on your post... ;)

5. Defender2010, May 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2015

Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

For you I think the best solution is to check back on Apple.com every day between now and October. Don't read Google. :D

6. brucethemoose macrumors newbie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Ax

Looking at history, Apple updates the SOC in the iPhone every year like clockwork. Last year, for example, the old 45nm, Cortex A9 based cores in the 4S were upgraded to customized A15s manufactured on a 32nm process in the Iphone 5. Naturally, the next iphone should have a 22nm Cortex A50 dual/quad core CPU with a bigger GPU.

But there's a problem.

TSMC/Global Foundries/Samsung (the people who manufacture iPhone chips) don't have 22nm process tech yet... heck, they're just now getting 28nm right. Unless Apple somehow gets Intel to manufacture it's processors, the 5S simply can't get a major hardware overhaul in time for a summer launch.

As Apple's designing it's own custom chips now, it's hard to predict what we'll even see. At most, we could get a minor update of the current CPU with integrated LTE/ a slightly bigger GPU on 28nm, or it could be exactly the same as the iPhone 5. I'm not sure about other features... fingerprint locks, maybe?

TL;DR: The 5S can't get a big hardware upgrade. It won't be much faster than the Iphone 5. As for useful features, that's completely up in the air, but I haven't heard about anything earth-shattering.

I would wait for the 5S. But buying a 5 now isn't a terrible idea.

7. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Lets come back to this thread after release so I can tell you how bad your post sounds...

8. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

27 minutes.