iPhone 5s usage inaccurately = standby time

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ruffian829, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Ruffian829 macrumors 6502

I'm on my third iPhone 5S- the first was replaced for touch ID issues and the next for battery life issues. Since the whole battery life thing I've been a bit neurotic about checking the usage and battery percentage. The new phone has been working great (10% per hour of usage) This morning when I finally got on train for work this morning I was already down 20% usage despite only checking the weather. I checked the usage and it said "usage: 2 hours and 1 minute" and "standby: 2 hours and 1 minute" - I had no music playing, no background apps, etc. there was definitely not two hours of usage, but it drained as if there had been.

Is there a fix to this?? I REALLY don't want to go back to the apple store, again. This is getting beyond frustrating.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If the phone lost cellular connection, it would continually ping for a tower which reduces the battery. I'd not really worry about it, especially if you go through some dead spots while commuting.

3. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Try to relax and just enjoy your phone for a few days to see how it all works out. I think your previous problems got you on edge. Stick with it for a week and see if all is good.

4. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

You are probably correct...

And about losing cell service- I do lose service during the commute, but not at home or from home to the train. I had checked prior to losing service (its only for two stops that there is no service). Will looking for service = "usage" under the settings? I thought that was only when the phone was actually being used?