iPhone 5S, use wifi or cell tower

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by martosprint, Apr 15, 2014.

1. martosprint macrumors 6502

Just a quick question. On my iPhone most of the time I get LTE, sometimes 3 G. I don't have a problem with that because it's mostly on LTE. But if I switch the phone to wifi at home would I get faster speed than either LTE or 3 G or would it be about the same? In other words which would be a faster speed, LTE, 3G or wifi? For me the speed doesn't matter too much, I was just curious.
    thanks for a reply...

2. Deguello macrumors 6502

Depends on how fast the internet connection your wifi uses and what LTE speeds you get.

3. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

There are free apps like "speed test" that will measure your transfer speed. That way you can compare them yourself.

4. cynics macrumors G3

This. Download the app and check for yourself. Wifi and LTE are generally faster then 3G.

Also pay attention to the latency (ping) in the app. That will determine how snappy (in lack of better terms) it feels. I'd take 10 mbs down with a 15 ping time then 100 mbs down with a 500 ping time on a phone.

5. martosprint thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay thanks for the replies. I know that LTE is faster than the 3G, but was just wondering if the wifi would be faster than both of them. For what I use it for the different speeds are not that important anyway. Thanks

6. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

It depends on your connection. I have LTE sometimes that is 3-4x my wifi speed.
    In the end, for normal browsing, once over a few mb dl, you likely wont notice much of a difference in web page rendering anyway.
    Streaming video even you may not notice too much difference.

7. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Sometimes at Starbucks the WiFi is so slow that I just turn it off and use LTE.

It's less often the case these days that "WiFi is faster." LTE is quite fast and many WiFi networks are poorly set up or have slow backhaul.