iPhone 5s Users

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Perth12, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Perth12 macrumors member

Since purchasing my 5s, my data usage has increased dramatically.

I have a limit of 2 gb and have had this for some time. When I was using an iPhone 4s with this limit my usage was fine, i was often using 1.9 gb.
    Since using my 5s, I have been reguarly reaching 2.5 gb and even more. I restored the 5s from backup and have exactly the same apps on it. Also the amount of time i spend using 3g has drastically decreased, (school got working wifi).

This is a big problem as im paying hefty excess charges repeatedly. Is it just me or any other 5s users??

thanks in advance

2. bransoj macrumors 6502a

If you go to Settings > Mobile and scroll down you can see how much data your applications are using over mobile data. Should help track down which app is using the most.

3. jahall05 macrumors regular

Here are some settings to check out:

1. General > Background App Refresh > Set this to off

2. iCloud > Make sure you only have things you use on as this can eat data

Let us know if this seems to alleviate the problem with data consumption.

4. RebornProphet Suspended

5. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

LTE doesn't use more than 3G as far as I'm concerned, it just uses it much faster. I can see using more data with LTE since it's WiFi speed and is much more enjoyable to use than 3G.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

No.

1 unit of data is 1 unit of data regardless of speed.

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The Human factor is being left out of this experience.

Users who experience a slower internet connection tend to use less data then those who with faster Internet access.

Example:

Let's say I'm on 3G and want to show a friend a really funny YouTube video. If it takes too long to buffer or pauses I may just give up and say "forget it I'll send you the link check it out later".

Now, if I'm on 4G/LTE and the video loads quickly and is smooth I just used X amount of data to show it to a friend.

If you were listening to Pandora and your favorite song kept pausing and buffering you'd just stop listening (at least I would) because it ruins the experience.

8. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Also with LTE I tend to care less about whether or not I'm on WiFi which is also huge. I had unlimited data for 3 months at the tail end of last year and used 14GB in a billing period. Never turned WiFi on once.

Now that I'm back to 6GB I'm a lot more careful and using WiFi wherever I can. Near the end of the cycle, I'm at 2GB used.

9. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I believe some video apps (Netflix?) will adjust video quality and therefore data used, based on the connection speed.

10. RokkenRock macrumors member

If you are watching videos over 3G and the websites provide HD quality of them, then you will likely spend more data on the 5s than you did on the 4s.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like it's more of a general trend: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/01/22/iphone-5s-cellular-data-usage-up/