iPhone 5S using LTE over home WiFi

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nitromac, May 18, 2014.

1. nitromac macrumors 6502

I've noticed that lately (I think with iOS 7.1 and above) my 5S has been using LTE data instead of WiFi when I'm at home or university (in dorms where there is wifi everywhere). Not all the time -- but I'd say about a little less than half the time. Turning off cellular data makes it stick to WiFi (with full 3 bars) which is fine but it's annoying to have to do that every time I go out and every time I get back...

Say I'm watching a youtube video at home -- initially I'm on WiFi, then it randomly switches to LTE for a few seconds, then wifi for a few more, then LTE again. When I turn off cellular data, the wifi works consistently, so I know it's not something weird like the wifi signal being lost.

I wouldn't worry about this before since my phone was grandfathered into the unlimited AT&T plan but now I'm on the 10gb shared plan so I am trying to conserve my usage...

Is there any way to force the phone to use WiFi over cellular data without going into settings each time and having to turn it off?

Should I take it to an apple store?

2. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

Can you tell how much data it pulls when it switches to LTE briefly ? That could be indicative of whats going down.

3. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

This happens to me occasionally. I don't get too worried about it.

4. I7guy macrumors G5

My 5s does the same thing, 7.1.1. It's annoying for sure, and I do turn off cell service when I do not want the phone to use it.

5. rajpatel macrumors regular

Y o y do u peeps watch anything on yo phone. How do u stand it?

I'd rather u just take my phone and throw it in the gutter than make me watch anything on it. It is super tedious as anything except phone, camera, and music player. Those three it excels at, but sucks at all the rest in my view. I refuse to look at that tiny screen for any reason other than to dial a call, play a song or snap a pic. I'm glad to be blessed with an ipad air so I can take that snobby and comfortable position. And also save my eyes while y'all are vision impaired (hopefully not) in a few years from squinting at yo tiny little phones.

6. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Would it kill you to type full words?

7. alphaod, May 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2014

alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I find that even when the iPhone is showing 3 bars for the WiFi the reception is often not very good.

So perhaps your phone is disconnecting from the wireless because the reception is poor. Your best bet is see if you move closer to the access point and then see if you still have this issue.