iPhone 5S vibrates for no apparent reason?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AT101ET, Jun 17, 2014.

1. AT101ET macrumors 6502

I've had my 5S for almost 9 months now. I'm not sure if this is something new or not, or if I've only just noticed it.
    My phone vibrates every so often - similar to the vibration when notifications are set on for emails.
    However, whenever I check my emails after the vibration, there is nothing new.
    I have a few email accounts set up, and as far as I know, only one has vibration notifications on.
    It's gotten to the point where it's now irritating having to decide whether or not to bother checking emails and that can mean I miss out on something important.

Anyone had any similar issues? Quick fix?

Thanks

2. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

I also get a random vibe or sound but nothing in the notification centre or badge. Thinking it must be an app like Facebook or like pushing a notification but who knows lol...

3. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

Are you using iOS 8? I noticed that my phone began vibrating, but then I saw that it's because mail notifications was no longer on the home screen or notification center, only the badge updated. Appears to be a bug in beta 1. Haven't tried beta 2 yet.

4. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

This started happening on my fathers 4S a few weeks ago. The problem was found to be a faulty mute switch, so each time it would vibrate it would be changing in and out of silent mode.

5. floyd-pinkerton macrumors newbie

This also happens on my 5s, no rhyme nor reason for it, but it drives me nuts!

6. AT101ET thread starter macrumors 6502

Currently running on IOS 7.1
    Has happened about 4 times since posting this thread. It's extremely irritating.

7. m3kk macrumors newbie

Check in setting , perhaps an app that is set to "sound" notification only? I had this issue recently and I found it was a game.

8. AT101ET thread starter macrumors 6502

I've now switched off all sound and vibrations with the exception of two email accounts. I've set their vibration notifications to something distinct (think it was SOS/heartbeat) so I'll know if it's the email playing up or something else.
    Will report on it later.

9. bozmoz macrumors newbie

This is happening with my iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.2 (12B440), on T-Mobile.

I disabled notifications for all apps other than ones from Apple, and even some of those. Still got the vibrations every once in a while. It seems random.

I've now tried disabling notifications for everything to see what happens.

:confused:

10. OzzyOzman macrumors member

Also happens to me. No idea what's causing it.

11. bozmoz macrumors newbie

My latest theory is that this comes from 'Settings'>'Sounds'>'New Mail'>'Vibration' being enabled, combined with having some mail account using 'Push' to get new mail.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Make sure it's not the phantom vibration syndrome.

13. valleian macrumors regular

valleian

When I bought my iPhone 5s back in April 2014, it also had a random vibration for no reason. Now its running iOS 8 and still does it. Nothing that I can't deal with, but it is weird.

14. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I get them too on my iPad and 5S. It's a bug with the notifications system, not all of them come through. When this happens, I check my Android phone or tablet and the notification that didn't come through on my 5S/iPad is there.

15. I7guy macrumors G5

My phone vibrates seemingly randomly, but I figured out it has to do with calendar events.

16. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Careful where you put that phone!

17. bozmoz macrumors newbie

Phantom's be gone!

Ha!

Inspired to make sure it's no phantom vibration syndrome, I built a vibration detection tool with my Arduino based on this...
    http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Knock

Had to monkey with the code a bit to get it to behave. But it turns out the piezo buzzer that I have can't detect vibrations from the phone anyway. (sigh) I'll have to order a more sensitive one I guess.