iPhone 5s vs. 5c Camera Quality?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by smokeandarrows, Feb 6, 2014.

1. smokeandarrows, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014

smokeandarrows macrumors newbie

Although the 5s carries extra features (burst mode, true-tone flash, slightly larger aperture), would you say that it does in fact still outperform the 5c (or 5, seeing as they are almost identical), particularly in light of all the apps that are available to use, such as Camera+ and VSCO?

I have compared countless numbers of photos between the 5c and 5s, and although there are differences at times, other times, there seems to be very little to differentiate between them. On paper, they are relatively similar, so do you think the extra stuff under the hood can be replicated in the 5c?

I don't mean to sound daft, but I have never owned an iPhone before so I don't know how much difference there is between models and how much difference these apps can make.
    Perhaps I'm just letting the details get to my head after comparing so many photos :confused: Higher quality pictures do matter to me, as I like to actually put them on to my computer and edit them and do things other than just sharing on social media, but is the difference worth the $200 price gap (i don't live in the states) between the two models?

2. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

There's definitely a difference, I think. Colors are more balanced in flash/low light conditions. In great lighting, there might not be much of a difference.

Also, the price difference is $100, not $200 :p

3. I7guy macrumors G5

Do what you think, there is a difference. Only you can decide if the price is worth it.

4. thegrants82, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014

thegrants82 macrumors 65816

You will kick yourself down the road if you get the C.

5. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Why? It's not actually that bad, yes there's a difference but it's not like comparing an iphone 4 and a 5s! :)

6. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

LOL, totally agree with what you said, "it's not actually that bad". You hit the nail right on the head.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The 5c has a f/2.4 aperture while the 5s has a f/2.2 aperture. What that means, is that the 5s is more sensitive to light and can handle low light situations and situations where your subject is moving a little better.

In practice, it probably isn't a huge deal. The camera in the iPhone 4s was actually really good and they've only gotten better since then.

Pick the phone in your price range that you like and go for it. The 5c is a great phone by most measures. The 5s is better, but a lot of people may not notice or need it.

The OP said he doesn't live in the US. Where they live, there very well may be a $200 USD equivalent price difference between the two.

8. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

if picture quality matters to you and you can afford it, get the more expensive model, it will last longer in a sense of being outdated so you won't be left too far behind when the new iPhone comes out (unless you upgrade to that too).

9. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

It's a very reasonable question. Of the items mentioned, I think the aperture and the flash are the two things that matter most for "general" photography. If you're taking a lot of pictures of friends in the club, the flash is especially important, and I think you'd notice the difference. The wider aperture will get you less grainy shots when there's less ambient light, but here the difference may not be so noticeable.

If the price difference is truly $200, it wouldn't be worth it to me. And, like you say, a good camera app fills in some of the gap -- my favorite is ProCamera because it has lots of good stuff for Video, too (like recording in 720p for less insane file sizes).

10. smokeandarrows thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the opinions guys, i opted to go for the 5s in the end. Its meant to be a point-and-shoot substitute for me, so might as well get the highest quality i can (without resorting to the very good, but clunky Nokia 1020). Its got better resale value too anyway.
    Phew, decisions like this are not suited for indecisive people like me.:rolleyes:

11. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

You made the right choice