iPhone 5S vs iPhone 5C

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ONIKAMARAJ, Jun 20, 2014.

1. ONIKAMARAJ macrumors member

2. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Search around, read reviews, go to a store and try them out. Plenty of ways to decide for yourself.

That being said, we are on the eve of an iPhone refresh as it is. So do be aware of that.

In my opinion, I like the iPhone 5c. I got one brand new off contract in May. For me, it was a good bit cheaper, and I got 32GB of space. But the primary reason I went with the 5c was the feel. I love the plastic shell. It's much better in the hand than the 5/5s. I had a 64GB iPhone 5 for a month prior to this. So I can compare them directly.

The 5s will be a little bit faster, and has better camera capabilities and higher storage options.

But it's up to you to decide...

3. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

I went with the 5S because of Touch ID, and the faster processor.

4. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Ok ... I've owned both. I had the 5c up until March and I've had the 5s since then.

The iPhone 5c is a great feeling phone. It's an all around great device. The 5s is a whole different beast IMO. It is exceptional. However as far as day to day use there's not much different between the two.

They are both great, but this close to a refresh ... I'd try and hold out...

5. aneftp macrumors 68040

The iPhone 5c is just a cheaper to make version of the iPhone 5 (released date Sept 2012) with slightly improved front camera and more LTE band support.

You are getting a $100 msrp discount for older tech over the top of the line iPhone 5S.

6. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

iPhone 5S vs iPhone 5C

The 5s has better specs but for me the 5c just really caught my eye. I love the color and how it feels in hand. I had a 5s for about a month but went back to my 5c...

I've customized mine with colored tempered glass...

[​IMG]

7. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

That looks awesome! Where did you get the colored tempered glass?

8. ONIKAMARAJ, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014

ONIKAMARAJ thread starter macrumors member

I would love to know where you got it from also.
    Can you still put a case on it?​

9. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

iPhone 5S vs iPhone 5C

I got it off eBay actually. It's not very expensive at all. Yes, a case still fits around it. It's not that thick honestly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121351060640

10. ONIKAMARAJ thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much!

11. phillymacuser macrumors member

Verizon is offering existing customers a 32GB 5c for free! So its a bit more than $100 msrp discount. I picked one up with the expectation if the iPhone 6 is all its supposed to be I can get at least $200 trade-in credit for 5c and still use another upgrade to get the 6 for a good price.

12. aneftp macrumors 68040

Msrp is $550 for 5C 16gb. Msrp is $650 for iPhone 5c 32gb.

What verizon offers at subsidized pricing is a whole different story. That's verizon eating the cost if they choose to sell the 32gb model for "free". Because verizon knows they will make it up in monthly bills.

If verizon were to offer the 5c 32gb at $450. Let me know. I may buy it. But they aren't.

13. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I got the Blue iPhone 5c because first off 16GB's wasnt cutting it and sure I could have bit the bullet and gone "OMG GOLD IPHONE 5S 64GB!!!11111" but I honestly like the plastic case and the look is unique. My favorite iPhone or at least the one I remember as being the epitome of iPhone was the iPhone 3G and the plastic case was sort of a homage to that. I always found my iPhone 4 and the iPhone 5 weird to hold but somehow my iPhone 5c feels just right. I wish they had made a 64GB 5c but the 32GB fits my needs pretty nicely. Another thing that I wanted was good Global UMTS/LTE support and both models feature the same radios as per the carrier so I'm set their.

14. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

If I could go back to my old iPhone 5c I would. It felt more solid then my 5s and looks better IMO. I would miss this touch I.d though.

15. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

iPhone 5S vs iPhone 5C

I thought I'd miss it too but I really didn't. It was a nice feature but I found that I didn't always use it when I had it.

16. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I love that look! If my LifeProof case could fit screen protectors in I would totally do it :/

17. g35 macrumors 6502a

The 5S. For $100 more you get more features, longer battery life and faster phone. If you plan to sell your phone within the next 3 years, you'll get most - if not all - of that $100 back in added resale value. Whatever you don't get back in resale is what you've spent for the 3 things I mentioned above.

Design is subjective. I can see preferring the 5C if you prefer its design. In that case, it may be wise to save $100 and get the phone you like better. For me, I like the 5S design so it would be a very easy choice if I was in the market for a new phone.

The other reason to get a 5C, other than personal taste in design, is because you're short on money and can't afford the extra $100, which is fair enough. In that case, I have to ask why on earth you're buying a new phone either for $550-650 without contract or 100-200 on a costly monthly plan when you could get a used 4S for 200 off contract and use it on T-mobile's or Wind's $30 prepaid plans (assuming you're in Canada or US). If money really was that tight you'd be crazy to spend $1800 for two years of cell service when you could get away with spending more like $900.

18. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

In just about 3 months; the 5s is going to be one generation behind, and the 5c will be 2 generations behind: talking about internals. Their expected lifespan of OS support from Apple may also differ by that much.

19. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

iPhone 5S vs iPhone 5C

For me it was more about putting that extra $100 into more storage. Also for the looks and the way it feels. To each their own.

As for battery life, that's subjective. They've got different size batteries but the 64 bit processor, M7 coprocessor, and finger print scanner use more battery. So it's all really about usage of the device.

I think that's the joy of free will. Even if we think it's crazy, for someone out there, it works.

20. Kryckter macrumors 6502

Kryckter

I would vote for the 5S as well. Bigger storage options and the touch sensor. I didn't think I would care for the touch ID, but I really like it!

21. I7guy macrumors G5

Touch ID is the single most innovative smartphone feature of recent.

Using the print of one of three fingers I can remove the phone from a pocket and unlock it at the same time. Plus I have a complex password on the phone.

22. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

23. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Agreed. I'd prefer a 5c in matte black but otherwise, I find the 5c feels much better in the hand than the 5s. Granted, I already figured that would be the case given I prefer the curves of the iPhone and 3GS over the 4/4S.

24. blkjedi954 macrumors member

blkjedi954

I'm shocked!!

I have always purchased the latest and greatest iPhone of the "S" generation. So Naturally I went with the 64gb Gold 5S. Love it!! But recently I've been reading a lot about the feel of the 5C being superior to the 5S. Initially I scoffed at such blasphemous assertion. But as I am writing this I am in an Apple Store, and boy I must say, the 5C feels absolutely awesome in your hand!!!! I can't believe the build quality of this device. It doesn't feel plastic at all and it "melts" into your hands. The 5S feels like it's always trying to escape your hands with its slippery texture. It still feels premium BUT so does the 5C!! I'm amazed and shocked and pleasantly surprised. Apple out did themselves with the 5C!!

25. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I remember when I got my first iPhone. It was this beautiful blue 5c. A month later I bought a 5s. A month later I sold it too. As much as the finger print scanner and better camera wooed me in, I just couldn't stand the look and feel of it. So here I am typing from my second 5c. My first one is at home being used as a beta tester because it's not compatible with my new service provider. This is the first time I've liked a phone so much I bought a second of it...