Iphone 5s vs Iphone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cooperb21, Nov 9, 2014.

1. cooperb21, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014

cooperb21 macrumors member

Im coming from an iphone 4s had it 3 years now and im wondering debating between these phones.

First ill tell your why im considering 5s over 6.

The price i can get 5s on a 2 year contract 32g model for 209$ and iphone 6 is 375$ for 64g and i dont need 64g thats why i hate the change apple did. I love 32g sweet spot 16g is to small 64g is to best 32g perfect!

Am i missing any thing or big features 5s wont have over 6 or is it mostly just specs and the screen size.

Pros:
    1. Save money
    2. 32g sweet spot

Cons:
    1.Obviously older model so it has weaker specs will get out of date faster and might be missing a few features
    2. Smaller screen

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If Apple stuck with 32 gigs, it would've been the same $299 plus tax price anyway. So you're actually getting 64 gigs for the price of 32 gigs. That throws your 32 gigs "sweet spot" argument out of the window.

As for your other "save money" argument, a $166 difference is really nothing considering the 6 will last you longer.

3. cooperb21 thread starter macrumors member

166$ is nothing....

I wish i was you with your money then.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

In the long run, it's nothing. You're paying way more in monthly service charges if you'd add them up. You'll have to upgrade sooner if you get the 5s.

5. cooperb21 thread starter macrumors member

True but i plan to upgrade every 2 years now. I waited so long with 4s because Canada still used 3 years of contracts now its only two.

So i would only have it till Nov 2016.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The 5s should serve just fine on the latest iOS if you plan to keep it for only two years.

7. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Resale value will be higher for the iphone 6. I would guess $200, but you can confirm by looking on ebay for a similarly sized iphone 4s vs a 5.

8. cooperb21 thread starter macrumors member

I could just try them out at the store assuming that places still have 5s on display and not all iphone 6 and compare them.

9. 100 macrumors member

It seems like OP is finding a reason to not get the iPhone 5s. Your mind seems pretty much made up. To answer your question, the 5s will definitely last you another two years. That phone is no slouch. If you are fine with a smaller screen and lack of apple pay; you will be satisfied with it. But.... I love my 6! I'm actually jealous of 6+ users now.

10. cooperb21 thread starter macrumors member

I dont think apple pay is even in Canada is it?

11. Dingado macrumors member

I was in a similar situation for about a month trying to decide between the 5s and the 6.

Although I came from a non-smartphone so either one would have been a huge upgrade.

I went to the store having made my mind buying the 5s. The guy asked me which phone I wanted and I told him the 6. For whatever reason I just couldn't go with the 5s. I don't want to be having an older model and regretting not getting 6 when I see other people with their big screens.

Definitely go to the store and compare the two. I did and I actually thought 5s was a decent size, but again, for whatever reason, I am now waiting for my 6.

Good luck. If you are afraid of winding up regretting your decision, definitely go with the 6. Yes it sucks paying $160 more, but it also sucks regretting the purchase of your phone for the next two years.

Personally I couldn't care less about Apple Pay, but the screen is absolutely beautiful and the camera is great.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not yet, but it may roll out in the coming years.

13. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

If you are always going to upgrade to a year old model every two years, then that is a sure shot good strategy to save money.

14. jenni122701 macrumors regular

jenni122701

I would have to say if the 5S screen size is fine with you and you are not interested in Apple Pay, go with the 5S. It will serve you perfectly for 2 yrs. I actually JUST recently got a new 5S on a 2 yr. contract myself. Very pleased with my decision. I also really needed to save that money. Good luck with whatever you choose!

15. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

If your just buying it to have a phone in your pocket get the 5.

If you want it to be your main device get the 6.

16. x34 macrumors 6502

hell yes, those other people are such a huge, important factor!!

17. caravela macrumors newbie

Iphone 5s vs Iphone 6

After only one day with iPhone 6 i Can say only one thing. I will never go back to smaller size. My wife's iPhone 5 looks silly now. With iPhone 6 I browse web all the time.

Don't be stupid buy iPhone 6. It is really the best iPhone ever.

Regards

Mark from Poland

18. Dingado macrumors member

Wow, you're cool. :rolleyes:

19. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Get the 6. Unless your plans are drastically different up north than in the States then $166 is about two months of service. Over a two year contract it isn't much at all. I'm not well of by any measure but I am a buy once cry once. I'll spend a little more to get a vastly superior device. The only reason to get a 5S is if you strongly want the smaller size. Given what you get for that money it's a pretty damn good value.