Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Its been a while now since I've been on my 6 plus, but I recently bought a couple of 5s models for my daughters. One came Friday so while they were away, I started putting it through its paces by adding my sim into it.

Its small since I'm so used to the 6 plus, and I mean that in both good and bad. It feels down right tiny in my hands, but over all its so much more holdable then the plus is. Typing on it seemed decent and and I could get used to this again. Watching videos seemed to be the worst of it.

I was (and am) tempted to get another 5s for me, but with the March even just a month away, perhaps I'll see if the 5se is for me, and I think it may be.

The thing that I loved about it, was how easy it fit in my pocket. I'm constantly, taking the 6 plus out of my pocket to sit, bend, or what have you. For me, the size has been a blessing and a curse. At this time, the downsides have over taken the positives.

Reactions: VAGDesign and ABC5S

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Do you still have the 6 listed in your signature?

I have the 6S, 6S+, 6+ and the 5S. I was using the 5S for my job simply because it was so easy to use with one hand UNTIL I bought the 6S. Now the 6S is the perfect size and I don't use the 5S anymore.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Do you still have the 6 listed in your signature?
Yup,
I'll not do anything with my current phone until the March even occurs. The phones I bought (2 iphone 5s) are for my daughters. I'm also contemplating the 6s (non plus) but I was surprised at how much I really liked the 5s and its form factor, especially being on the large 6 plus for so long

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
The 5s has its pocket ability factor I'll give it that. But I've become so accustomed to using my 6/6s plus for business: answering emails, using spreadsheets, pdfs, banking while out away from the office and home. Then there is the extra real estate for websites (like MR)....I prefer the desktop versions, videos, reading books, news.

I could just never again forgo those benefits for the portability only. If I was just going to use it only as a phone, iPod, messaging, mobile only websites then the 5s would be sufficient.

Reactions: maxsix and ABC5S

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
I gave my 5S to my daughter also and got 6 for myself...it's about one month now I am using 6 and have to admit, 5S is the master piece, best phone Apple ever made. Size, design and usability, nothing can compare with it.

Reactions: VAGDesign and ABC5S

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I just moved to the 6s as of last Christmas, coming from a > 3 yr old 5, and the larger screen has been a refreshing experience. However, when the Virgin Mobile sale came up for the 5s 32gb ($150+tax), I jumped on it and haven't regretted it ($32 to unlock, but well worth it).

It's definitely nice for me to return to the 5s form factor, too, and it is no slouch in performance. But I would only use it as a copilot after getting the 6s because the larger screen is just rly nice to return to every other time that involves media. Otherwise, the 5s is, in my opinion, a better feel for one handed entertainment.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
I miss my old 5S (have the 6S Plus now) so if the 5SE is good enough I'll be selling my 6S Plus and my GFs Samsung S6 and be buying us both a 5SE each.

I have tried to get used to bigger phones (6 then 6S Plus) but I just miss the form factor of the 5S.

Reactions: ABC5S

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Why not just trade phones with your kids? Theyd love the plus
No they wouldn't, the plus is just too big for them, also I wanted to give them some inexpensive phones, and finally, I'm stating how I love the design of the iPhone 5s over the 6. The rounded corners are sleek design is beautiful, but the iPhone 5s has a classic design that I don't think goes out of style - just my $.02

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
I currently have a 5s, and even though I like the size, I'm considering getting a 6+ and retiring my iPad Air too.
Have people retired their iPad because of the larger iPhone?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I currently have a 5s, and even though I like the size, I'm considering getting a 6+ and retiring my iPad Air too.

I don't use my iPad much any more, probably because of the plus. For me, while the plus has a gorgeous screen, and makes life easier in a number of ways. The disadvantages are adding up for me. Ease of one handed use, always needing to take it out of my pocket. I'd much prefer to keep the phone in my pocket and sit down then having to pull it out before bending or sitting. The battery life on the plus is phenomenal, but at this point, I'm ready to downsize.

I was at the apple store, and if a salesmen came over to talk to me, I'd probably would have bought a 6s, but I'm glad I held off. I can wait a month to see what the 5se actually looks like. If it has the features, form factor and price point, I'll preorder it on the spot.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Its been a while now since I've been on my 6 plus, but I recently bought a couple of 5s models for my daughters. One came Friday so while they were away, I started putting it through its paces by adding my sim into it.

Its small since I'm so used to the 6 plus, and I mean that in both good and bad. It feels down right tiny in my hands, but over all its so much more holdable then the plus is. Typing on it seemed decent and and I could get used to this again. Watching videos seemed to be the worst of it.

I was (and am) tempted to get another 5s for me, but with the March even just a month away, perhaps I'll see if the 5se is for me, and I think it may be.

The thing that I loved about it, was how easy it fit in my pocket. I'm constantly, taking the 6 plus out of my pocket to sit, bend, or what have you. For me, the size has been a blessing and a curse. At this time, the downsides have over taken the positives.
I know what you mean about taking the 6+ out of your pocket to sit or anything really. But for me everytime I try to type or read something on phone the size of the 5s it involves too much squinting on my part! I agree with you about how nice the form factor is on smaller phones. How they fit in the hand and so forth.
Do you like to 5s over your IP6?
[doublepost=1454934842][/doublepost]
I don't use my iPad much any more, probably because of the plus. For me, while the plus has a gorgeous screen, and makes life easier in a number of ways. The disadvantages are adding up for me. Ease of one handed use, always needing to take it out of my pocket. I'd much prefer to keep the phone in my pocket and sit down then having to pull it out before bending or sitting. The battery life on the plus is phenomenal, but at this point, I'm ready to downsize.

I was at the apple store, and if a salesmen came over to talk to me, I'd probably would have bought a 6s, but I'm glad I held off. I can wait a month to see what the 5se actually looks like. If it has the features, form factor and price point, I'll preorder it on the spot.
Same here....i hardly use my ipad since i have the 6s+. It really is a dual purpose phone. But the size does become unwieldy sometimes.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
But for me everytime I try to type or read something on phone the size of the 5s i
Funny thing is, I was pleasantly surprised that I'm not squinting any more on the 5s then my plus. Perhaps because I have to take my glasses off to see both screen. What I did notice is type is a bit more constrained and watching videos - that was definitely impacted by the smaller design.

I guess my use case is such that the smaller size shouldn't adversely impact me.

Reactions: jamezr

Mike1715

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2015
Beaverton, OR
My iPhone 6+ is the worst iPhone I have ever owned. Spent hours with senior level advisors and they told me I had to wait for a fix or an upgrade. The phone seems to have mind of its own. I cannot easily get radio stations to work and even when I do and I get out of your car and get in start out again it goes to a random playlist on its own. Most difficult, worst working iPhone I have ever owned.

imejh

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2013

This past weekend I finally decided to go big and bought the iPhone 6s plus. I had been using the iPhone 5s and iPad Air combo for the last two years, and I really enjoyed my time using both of those wonderful devices... never had a problem with either's software or hardware. One of the reasons I made the switch to 6s plus is to try and see if I could get down to one iDevice along with my rMBP. While I'm only two days into the switch the 5s and Air have remained turned off in a drawer, and I have yet to feel the need to whip out the Air when lounging around the house for the bigger screen, or go to 5s for more portability on the go. So thus far I do think it's possible to retire a iPad when you have a phablet to use. If the next week or two goes the way of how this trial run with the 6s has started, then I'll sell the Air and keep the 5s just for when those occasions of having a smaller device in pocket/hand is more prudent.

Oh by the way, I always used to kinda chuckle to myself whenever I saw someone using a phablet over the past few years (especially smaller people), but if you are someone who is in need of something more like a mini computer in your pocket/hand vs. just a device to communicate via phone+text and whatnot, then the 6s plus is a fabulous device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.