Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yazounet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2014
Hey you all.

I want to be quick and precise. I have an iPhone 5s and a glass of water spilled on it and I took the phone a wiped it off in milliseconds. It didn't even stand under water for a second and wiped off and even sucked from the holes in case theres water. I didn't have any water mark on phone for about 1 hour.
So my main concern is what is the risk assessment?
Will my lovely 1month old baby survive this stupidness caused by an idiot friend?
Oh btw I just turned my phone off and put it in a box of rice. Is it true that iPhone 5/5s are very powerful against water damage..?

Thank you in advance!

yazounet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2014
Btw water damage indicators are totally white.. Good news right?

XxLucyxX

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2014
UK
I think it will be fine. Keep it in the rice for 1-2 days then check on it and hopefully it will still be working :)

yazounet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2014
I was not scared at first then I googled "water spill on iphone" and likewise googling your symptoms and seeing you are cancer!!!! It always says that iphone will definitely be damaged WTF! I am more and more scared :(
Are there any stories out there where theres some water spill and nothing happens?
:confused:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I was not scared at first then I googled "water spill on iphone" and likewise googling your symptoms and seeing you are cancer!!!! It always says that iphone will definitely be damaged WTF! I am more and more scared :(
Are there any stories out there where theres some water spill and nothing happens?
:confused:

How much water was spilled on the phone?

If it got inside the phone, it can cause corrosion over time and serious problems. There isn't a whole lot that can be done about it.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Risk assessment = Risky business for sure.

Stick it in rice, as recommended. Good luck.

yazounet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2014
How much water was spilled on the phone?

If it got inside the phone, it can cause corrosion over time and serious problems. There isn't a whole lot that can be done about it.

Well half of glass mainly from the sim slot side and on mainly on the glass not near speakers or charging place.. It could only get inside from the touch id sensor but i quickly took it away. Like half of a second. Nice reflexes :)
Is there a way i can check if it got inside of it?

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
one time i was in the bathroom and somehow a single drop of water splashed and landed on the touch id sensor and it said invalid fingerprint! funny how it landed right in the home button. but you should be fine with it in the rice for a couple days.

yazounet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2014
one time i was in the bathroom and somehow a single drop of water splashed and landed on the touch id sensor and it said invalid fingerprint! funny how it landed right in the home button. but you should be fine with it in the rice for a couple days.

Well i checked and checked the touch id, after the incident for like 100 times it was working now it is turned off i am just hoping it will do the same again. Hope yours is still functioning

dennisjr631

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
I had the same thing happen when my iphone 5 was a couple weeks old. My son knocked over my beer and half of it spilled on my phone. I just wiped it dry and never had any problems even after a year.

yazounet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2014
Thank god some of you has good stories out there :) i am just resisting the urge to charge my phone i know you guys said to rest the phone in rice for couple of days but 24 hours isnt ok? I am like every urban individiual in need of my gadget. Isnt it how funny we are so dependent to those iphones ?

yazounet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2014
Guys!
Thanks for the support :)
24 h passed after i digged my phone in a box of rice
I just got it off and heres the result:
1- touch id functioning
2- on off button is functioning
3- theres no water mark on the screen which i used to have on my old iphone 4s
4- it is charging
5- no water damage indicator turned red
6- speakers are functioning
7- microphone is functioning
8- normal telephone speaker functioning

Anything i need to check?

----------

Guys!
Thanks for the support :)
24 h passed after i digged my phone in a box of rice
I just got it off and heres the result:
1- touch id functioning
2- on off button is functioning
3- theres no water mark on the screen which i used to have on my old iphone 4s
4- it is charging
5- no water damage indicator turned red
6- speakers are functioning
7- microphone is functioning
8- normal telephone speaker functioning

Anything i need to check?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.