iPhone 5s Weather in Today view "Just Not Right"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by that be me, Oct 22, 2013.

1. that be me macrumors 6502

I've posted this before, but I'm sure this is an iphone 5s thing.

Since I bought my iphone the today view has been behaving oddly when it comes to weather. About 90% of the time it will add the phrase "...conditions with low visibility" to whatever the forecast reads. It will even display this when the weather is sunny and clear (as seen in the pic included). The other 10% of the time it shows correctly, but it's annoying to have the weather not being shown correctly.

A quick trip to my local Apple store showed that every display iPhone 5s had the same issue. It was not, however present on any other display device. Geniuses were stumped too.

Any ideas on what's going on here?

Attached Files:

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

the info comes from yahoo, which in itself isnt all that reliable. i would think it was more from yahoo's side of things.

3. HouD macrumors member

This is something that needs to be addressed ASAP, hopefully in 7.0.4.

I mean, seriously, how can the weather information not show you the temperature? It's really frustrating. Just to add, I'm really enjoying the OS as a whole.

4. that be me thread starter macrumors 6502

The thing is it seems to work fine on every other device. My old 4s during the betas and my friend's launch day 5 show everything as it should. why would the 5s be getting the shaft here?

5. dmystic1 macrumors regular

Was your device set up as new or from back up?

6. a.jfred macrumors 6502

Yeah - Yahoo uses IP-based info to tell you your current weather, or what it thinks your current weather is; for example, it consistanly shows the weather for the city that's 1/2 an hour away from me, and not what the temp is where I'm physically located -- and there's no way to change it to display by zip code, which makes it completely useless.

Sadly, it seems a lot of companies are going this route -- I was about to drop Yahoo altogether, until I found out Google does the same thing. :mad:

7. that be me thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried from both: as new when I got the device and as a restore when I was having an unrelated syncing issue. So far, nothing.

Maybe this is part of the cost of going to 64 bit?

8. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

I made a bookmark icon for forecast.io on my home screen and tend to use that, even though the weather for my area doesn't have that problem.

9. dmystic1 macrumors regular

Well I have a 5s and I don't have that problem so I don't think it's a 64-bit problem, plus I doubt that app is even 64-bit. Under your privacy settings, location services, is it turned on for the weather app?

10. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

This^^^

Though the weather app on the home screen convenient, there are lots of alternatives. Place an icon on your home screen, for your favorite.

11. dmystic1 macrumors regular

He should not have to do a work around for a system app that can't be uninstalled.

12. that be me thread starter macrumors 6502

Well this tells me that it doesn't affect everyone. Maybe a region based problem? Anyone in southern Ontario (Toronto) with this issue?

@dmystic1: Yep, location services is definitely on. Had to play with that back on the betas to get it to show up.

13. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I'm from the Toronto area and my weather works fine (although I'm on a 4s). It is annoying how there's no more 5 day view in notification center though :rolleyes:

14. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

my weather is all off... Siri says its 48 right now, native weather app says 41 and weather.com says its 38. :confused:

15. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Well then I guess they should return the device to get another with the same problem. :p

16. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Same problem on my iphone5, even though it asked to use my location and I also went to yahoo to reinforce that, setting my location as default for weather .... Wherever it's showing weather for has nothing to do with the weather in my location. Not very useful!

17. that be me thread starter macrumors 6502

This one is from today. Still no idea what's going on or why only the 5s is affected.

Attached Files:

18. that be me thread starter macrumors 6502

Hate to bump an older thread, but iOS 7.1 has come and I'm still getting this issue about 95% of the time. Frustrating.

19. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Open Maps and see where the phone thinks you are.

20. that be me thread starter macrumors 6502

Maps shows me where I should be.

Here's a more recent screenshot. This still makes no sense!

Attached Files:

21. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, buggered if I know then. Sorry mate.

Maybe weather from Yahoo is iffy for your location. Have you downloaded the Yahoo weather app and compared?

22. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Just an update to my previous post...it's not as good as previously advertised. I want to see the temperature in the notification center, but instead it often gives me the wind speed or "cloudy with scattered showers"...

23. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I have had the same issue with both my iPhone 5 and my 5S. It will only show the current temperature in the morning. After noon it will tell me what the high will be, but not the current temperature.

I use the Yahoo Weather App and it seems to have no problem telling me the temperature.

This is my third 5S. One bought on Launch Day, one replaced on the Monday following (chipped glass), and the newest replacement in January (random reboot issue) all had the same issue. iPhones all set up as new and apps were downloaded directly from Apple.