iPhone 5S won't charge after iOS 7.1 update

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by jetmaster114, Mar 13, 2014.

1. jetmaster114 macrumors member

I just updated to 7.1 last night and charged my phone on my imac with no problem. Tried to charge it today on a windows 7 machine at work via USB cable and it won't charge but before update it always did on this machine. I reset the phone but still no go. Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

If it's not an apple certified cable the software will not let it charge the phone. I hope that helps.

3. jetmaster114 thread starter macrumors member

4. Poontaco macrumors regular

You have to "allow" the phone to connect to each computer now.
    There will dialogue boxes on both the computer and the phone that need to be dealt with.

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It should ask you if you want to "trust this computer".

6. jetmaster114 thread starter macrumors member

It did on my mac at home but not on the windows pc at work.

7. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

I know my iPad won't charge when I'm running windows on my MacBook Pro but when on mavericks it charges fine. If it still charges on your Mac then you really don't have anything to worry about.

8. jetmaster114 thread starter macrumors member

It's not a matter of worry that there is something wrong with the phone. It is a matter of convenience of being able to charge it at work which i had been able to do prior to the 7.1 update.

9. davelanger macrumors 6502a

don't you have the little plug? Cant you just use that

10. jetmaster114 thread starter macrumors member

11. Eau Rouge macrumors regular

This has no effect on charging. You can deny the trust request and still charge a device.

12. Poontaco macrumors regular

I have not tried denying the request. But, I do know for sure that the phone does NOT charge until you deal with the dialog box.

13. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Nope. A couple days ago, I plugged my phone in to my computer and I was wondering why it wasn't charging. All I had to do is click trust on my computer, then my computer told me to respond on my phone or something like that. It started charging after I did that.

14. sbailey4 macrumors 68040

sbailey4

It works fine in Windows. So try the trusted option and see if that helps. I am not aware that you have to "trust" before the charge will function though. Just for sync and backup for sure.

15. Eau Rouge macrumors regular

My 5s charges on my work computer (that I have never trusted) just by plugging it in. iTunes won't mount it w/o trusting the computer but it charges normally, which I confirmed with a USB current meter showing it pulling 0.5A.

16. ccwaddell macrumors newbie

Same here...I don't think the above repliers really get it...after the update our phones no longer ask if we trust this computer or not hence it will not charge...I am pissed & wished I never updated it...I can't even charge it on my ps4

17. syuus001 macrumors newbie

I meet the same problem too,how to solve it ?

18. BugattiBeefCake macrumors newbie

I got a fix for this, got to device manager (search on start menu) and look at Universal Serial Bus Controllers. If there is any with a yellow ! on them, disable then re-enable them. This is what fixed it for me.

19. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Just use the wall adapter and charge it using that.

20. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Wrong, it starts charging as soon as it gets voltage. To double check I just tested and it starts charging before that dialogue even appears. Tested on 2 laptops that have never been connected to an iPhone before.