iPhone 5S won't charge after iOS 7.1 update

jetmaster114

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2012
I just updated to 7.1 last night and charged my phone on my imac with no problem. Tried to charge it today on a windows 7 machine at work via USB cable and it won't charge but before update it always did on this machine. I reset the phone but still no go. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
If it's not an apple certified cable the software will not let it charge the phone. I hope that helps.

Poontaco

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2014
You have to "allow" the phone to connect to each computer now.
There will dialogue boxes on both the computer and the phone that need to be dealt with.

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
I know my iPad won't charge when I'm running windows on my MacBook Pro but when on mavericks it charges fine. If it still charges on your Mac then you really don't have anything to worry about.

jetmaster114

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2012
It's not a matter of worry that there is something wrong with the phone. It is a matter of convenience of being able to charge it at work which i had been able to do prior to the 7.1 update.

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
It's not a matter of worry that there is something wrong with the phone. It is a matter of convenience of being able to charge it at work which i had been able to do prior to the 7.1 update.
don't you have the little plug? Cant you just use that

Eau Rouge

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2013
You have to "allow" the phone to connect to each computer now.
There will dialogue boxes on both the computer and the phone that need to be dealt with.
This has no effect on charging. You can deny the trust request and still charge a device.

Poontaco

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2014
This has no effect on charging. You can deny the trust request and still charge a device.
I have not tried denying the request. But, I do know for sure that the phone does NOT charge until you deal with the dialog box.

dannyyankou

macrumors G3
Mar 2, 2012
Scarsdale, NY
Nope. A couple days ago, I plugged my phone in to my computer and I was wondering why it wasn't charging. All I had to do is click trust on my computer, then my computer told me to respond on my phone or something like that. It started charging after I did that.

sbailey4

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2011
USA
It works fine in Windows. So try the trusted option and see if that helps. I am not aware that you have to "trust" before the charge will function though. Just for sync and backup for sure.

Eau Rouge

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2013
Nope. A couple days ago, I plugged my phone in to my computer and I was wondering why it wasn't charging. All I had to do is click trust on my computer, then my computer told me to respond on my phone or something like that. It started charging after I did that.
My 5s charges on my work computer (that I have never trusted) just by plugging it in. iTunes won't mount it w/o trusting the computer but it charges normally, which I confirmed with a USB current meter showing it pulling 0.5A.

ccwaddell

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2014
Same here...I don't think the above repliers really get it...after the update our phones no longer ask if we trust this computer or not hence it will not charge...I am pissed & wished I never updated it...I can't even charge it on my ps4

BugattiBeefCake

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2014
I got a fix for this, got to device manager (search on start menu) and look at Universal Serial Bus Controllers. If there is any with a yellow ! on them, disable then re-enable them. This is what fixed it for me.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
Portugal
I just updated to 7.1 last night and charged my phone on my imac with no problem. Tried to charge it today on a windows 7 machine at work via USB cable and it won't charge but before update it always did on this machine. I reset the phone but still no go. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Just use the wall adapter and charge it using that.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
I have not tried denying the request. But, I do know for sure that the phone does NOT charge until you deal with the dialog box.
Wrong, it starts charging as soon as it gets voltage. To double check I just tested and it starts charging before that dialogue even appears. Tested on 2 laptops that have never been connected to an iPhone before.