iPhone 5s - Yellow Hue to Display

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Interdimension, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Interdimension macrumors newbie

Is it just me? Or does the 5s have a warmer color temperature than previous iPhones? I can't tell if it's just my 5s, or if this was intended by Apple.

The display is just yellow-ish. I open Messages, and I put my 4S side-by-side, and I can observe the difference in temperatures.

Is the yellow tint normal? I haven't visited my local Apple Store to compare mine with the ones on display, but it I know for a fact that the iPhone 5 did not have a yellow hue to it (I even compared my 5s with six of my friends' iPhone 5's - none were as warm as mine).

2. zxoraz macrumors member

I think it's common when the screen is new, at least that's what many people online claim.

I used to own an iPhone 4 (Had it for about 3 years) and just recently received a new 4S, now when I place them beside each other, like your 5s, my 4s has a more yellow screen.

I've been using it for about a week now and its still more yellow.
    I'll report back if I'll see a change :)

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

No, my 5s doesn't have it, but my 5 definitely did.

However, my 5s is much closer to the cooler color variant of my 4s and my iPad.

4. Interdimension thread starter macrumors newbie

My question is whether it's a defect or not. I've seen people exploding from agony because their iPhone 5's had a warm display, claiming that the cooler ones were the proper ones.

I'm thinking about getting a replacement, but I'm not sure what my chances are at getting one that's not warm.

Maybe it's just my OCD overreacting :/

5. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

It's a very expensive little computer you're carrying around and expecting to use and be happy with for the duration….

Thus, if you're not happy with it, go get a replacement and if you're unhappy with the replacement, repeat the process, until you are!

Don't spend your money on something that's making your OCD flare and that you're really not happy with! You deserve what you pay for!

6. Interdimension thread starter macrumors newbie

Does Apple mind that I purchased it at Best Buy? lol

7. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

If you're hitting the genius bar, their phone or chat service, they don't even ask where you bought it. It's their product, that's the relevant fact.

If you were just returning it for a refund, then you'd be sent back to place of purchase.

8. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Your perception is valid. But not only that, it's literally a proven difference simply by comparing the difference between the two screens. Yellow is simply nasty. You don't eat yellow snow, right? So why should you tolerate viewing a yellow screen. For as much as you paid for the phone, whether out right or via 2yr contract thru your carrier, I don't think it's acceptable. If I were you, I'd swap the phone out. I don't think the screen should have a yellow tint to it at all. It should be bright, white, crisp and clear. Of course that's all simply my opinion.

9. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

My 5S is pretty warm too, especially compared to my 4S. I'll wait it out though for now...doesn't bother me.