iPhone 5S Yellow LED is out?!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by GandalfBR, Oct 11, 2013.

1. GandalfBR macrumors newbie

Hi,

I recently bought the new 5S and I wanted to confirm if it is normal for the yellow LED not to be as bright as the white top one.

For example, when using the phone as flashlight, only the top led is bright, not the bottom yellow one. Is this normal?

Also when taking pictures, I notice the top one being way brighter. Sometimes it looks like the bottom one has no light at all, and all the light is coming from the top LED.

Any explanation would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Yes. Has been noted since before the release, too.

3. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

The following from http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/camera/ may explain why one of them may be brighter when taking pictures:

"The new True Tone flash gives the iSight camera capabilities that are the first for any smartphone. It’s made up of two LEDs, one white and one amber. But they don’t simply fire in tandem. When you take a picture with the flash enabled, the iSight camera uses software algorithms to assess the color temperature of the scene. That allows iPhone 5s to determine just the right percentage and intensity of white light versus amber light you need — using over 1000 unique combinations. The result is a beautiful shot with more true-to-life colors. Not too cool. Not too warm. Better highlights. More natural-looking skin tones. And the same goes for the iSight videos you record."

4. GandalfBR thread starter macrumors newbie

Great! Thanks for the prompt replies. I was afraid I had to go back to the Apple store already. :)

It's just seems a lot of difference to me though. But I'm glad to know that this is normal then.

Thanks.

5. zybersniper macrumors member

I believe there are 1500 different mixes of brightness for the two LEDs to produce an accurate color tone on the "flashed" subject. So possibly there are situations where the bottom LED would appear brighter than the top one, especially in very cool lighting conditions.