Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Hi all

I am confused here at the moment in what to get. I have an iPhone 5 16 gig. I am thinking if I should stick the the 16 gig and put any extra storage I need for movies and music etc on to iCloud Drive and buying more icloud drive space, which works out less expensive than extra storage device and access that information via the cloud. Instead of paying for the 64 gig and saving that information locally. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
You don't store music and movies in on iCloud Drive.

That is for documents (like you would store on Dropbox), pictures and videos that you take on your iPhone/iPad/Mac, and backups for your iOS devices.

The main storage (16/64/128GB) is what you use for music and videos.

As was posted, you can use wireless drives for it, but those need to be charged or plugged in and will cost you probably a significant part of the cost of simply buying a larger capacity iPhone, plus will use extra battery to stream them over the Wifi or Bluetooth connection in addition to the battery expended just playing the content. For music that might not be so bad, but it will be killer on video.

I would recommend buying the biggest iPhone you can that will support the amount of content you intend to carry.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
will you be on wifi or do you plan on sucking up all your data to retrieve data from the cloud?

I will be using wifi at home and work. Anywhere else will be using data from my data plan.

----------

You don't store music and movies in on iCloud Drive.

That is for documents (like you would store on Dropbox), pictures and videos that you take on your iPhone/iPad/Mac, and backups for your iOS devices.

The main storage (16/64/128GB) is what you use for music and videos.

As was posted, you can use wireless drives for it, but those need to be charged or plugged in and will cost you probably a significant part of the cost of simply buying a larger capacity iPhone, plus will use extra battery to stream them over the Wifi or Bluetooth connection in addition to the battery expended just playing the content. For music that might not be so bad, but it will be killer on video.

I would recommend buying the biggest iPhone you can that will support the amount of content you intend to carry.

Thanks for clarifying iCloud drive. I thought it was for music etc too. I may just buy the 64 gig one then.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
I can guarantee you won't regret getting more storage. You may regret the 16.

Go bigger than you need and make some of the difference back when you go to sell it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.