iPhone 6 16g vs 64g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dtjn, Sep 25, 2014.

1. dtjn macrumors newbie

Hi, Newbie here. I have had 16g 4 and 5. I am now ready to move to a 6. Is there any reason to move to a larger storage capacity? I am probably a light to moderate user. As it stands now, I have about 4g of space left on my 5 after cleaning up some photos and various other things. Thanks.

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Up to you. Seems like you can handle 16GB. Some people, like me, dont like to "clean up". I like to have whatever pictures, apps, music I want without having to worry about space. So depending on how you want to manage your data, you can decide which version to get.

3. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

64 GB or 126 GB is the best option for either iPhone 6 or 6 Plus. iOS 8 is the perfect example. iOS 8 required at least 5GB of free space in order to install. Major iOS updates are getting larger and larger due to more features and content. 16GB is actually 11GB of free space once you open the box. 126GB is the safest method if you plan on having the phone for 3-4 years. 64GB is safe if you have a 2-year contract. 16 GB is the cheapest method if you plan on upgrading yearly.

4. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

Exactly, and let's not forget about the apple pay update coming in October. Who knows how much space that will require. I got a 16g Plus and I'll be swapping out for a 128g 6 this weekend.

5. dtjn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. Another question? I am not real tech savvy;) If your phone is almost full will it still run the same as if you have a lot of memory free? With the 64 I will certainly have a lot of unused space. A 32 would probably be perfect for me, but it is not to be.

6. julesgold macrumors regular

If you can comfortably afford to spend an extra $100 I would get the 64gb. You have more freedom and you won't have to worry about constantly cleaning your phone. Who knows. You might turn into a hardcore user;).

7. kdphan, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

kdphan macrumors newbie

first post here

i got the 16G 6 on launch date and realized 16gb wasn't even nearly enough for 1/10 of the music collection that are in FLAC format.

exchanged for 128gb yesterday and not going back

8. rikbrown macrumors regular

How does the exchange process work when stores are sold out? I've got a 16gb arriving today, but thinking I should've gone 64gb for the extra. My local stores are all sold out of all the iPhone 6 models: will they still have some for exchange?

9. kdphan macrumors newbie

i was able to exchange mine since they have the phone in stock

if not, then i guess you can return it for a refund and then wait since you have a 14day window to return it.

10. dtjn thread starter macrumors newbie

This is me. I have a 16 gb waiting for me to pick up. I am going to think about it overnight, but I'm pretty sure I will swap for a 64 gb.

11. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I am pondering this question also. With T-mobile's trade-in, I'll probably upgrade every year now....'when you want, not when you're told'. For me, I'd like to save the extra $100. Depends on how much t-mobile gives me for the 5s that's only 6 months old. If I still get a hefty trade in offer, I'll get the 64G for the hell of it.

I just take a lot of photos so as long as apple doesn't increase photo resolution with the IOS, which would be impossible (?) so 16G will do.