iPhone 6+...16gb limitations?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davistld01, Jun 29, 2015.

1. davistld01 macrumors 6502a

davistld01

I am almost ready to trade my 128gb iPhone 6 to a guy locally on Craigslist for his 16gb iPhone 6+...but I seem to remember people complaining about their 16gb iPhone 6-pluses running slow & things freezing because of a lack of storage.

Is all that true? I'm not a gamer, and will never have movies or a million pictures on my phone. Would I still be wanting more way too soon?

Please tell me all the shortcomings please.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Wouldn't a 64 GB iPhone 6 Plus be more of a match to a 128 GB iPhone 6?

3. jponce97 macrumors member

Agreed
    You are getting too little storage for the trade

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I agree with the others. Ask for cash on top of the trade if you are going from a 128gb 6 to a 16gb plus. The other person should throw in 100 bucks to make it even.

Now to answer the question. My wife has a 16gb 6 plus and has never had a single issue. She doesn't store movies or music on her device. She streams her music and movies, so she requires very little storage.

The performance of the device should be good as long as you aren't low on memory. Look at your current storage. Could you COMFORTABLY fit everything you need on about 10-12 gb's of space? If you can, then you are good.

Also, ios9 is going to be a much smaller package than previous versions. That will give you at least 2 additional gb's of space.

Did you originally buy a 128 just for futureproofing?

5. davistld01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

davistld01

I bought the 128gb because it was the only capacity iPhone 6's in stock at my friendly neighborhood Verizon store the Saturday night after the Friday launch...and I got a case of "gottahaveitnowitis". I paid way more than I wanted to...and I will never, ever, ever use the capacity to it's worth. I realize the phone should hold the highest value should I try and sell it...but if I don't trade, I'll end up trading it in on the 6s-plus when it drops anyway.

I'm just wanting to trade really because, although I thought differently when I bought the 6 over the Plus, I really like the Plus' added screen real estate, and it's not as gargantuan as I thought in my hand...or my pocket. I guess I just want a Plus now instead of waiting, but I'm also aware that the trade here is lopsided with the advantage being on the other traders side.

Nice avatar btw, capathy21! I'm a Dallas-born Cowboy fan lost in the Ozarks! :D

6. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

Well, if you are going down the same path as before (giving in to your "gottahaveitnowitis"), then why don't you take the other path this time and just keep the 6? You already said you will most likely get the next version come September. I'd say just wait for a few months and sell your phone, then get the newer device. Others are right that the deal is lopsided.

7. davistld01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

davistld01

I agree, but after approaching the trader with the additional cash on his part, it looks like he may agree. So, if it happens it happens...if he's not adding any funds with his Plus, it won't. I'm cool with it either way. I don't have enough apps, pictures and music on my iPhone 6 that would crowd the 10-11gb of storage on the Plus...so I don't see it as being a performance hinderance. Besides, it will give me some practical "hands on" experience with the larger model to see if I really do want to go that way when I get the 6s in a few months.

8. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Get whatever makes you happy. Mine as well trade if the plus is what you want. I have both and I go back and forth more than I should. Every time I think I'm set on one and ready to sell the other, I change my mind lol.

9. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

Our son has a 16GB plus and has a hard time updated to new software. What's the best solution?

10. Gryfter macrumors 6502

Gryfter

update hardwired with iTunes...

11. Shanghaichica, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015

Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

As much as I love my 6 plus I'd rather have a 128GB iPhone 6 than a 16 GB iPhone 6 plus. However everyone has different needs. Maybe you can get by with 16GB. However even so in my country the price difference between the 2 models is £81. So you'd be loosing out on £81. The 64GB 6 plus is the same price as the 128 GB iPhone 6.

12. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

Tried that it didn't work. Any other suggestions?

13. Gryfter macrumors 6502

Gryfter

thats strange... I've never heard of people not being able to update hardwired through iTunes, because of "not enough space"...

14. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Have him delete the things that he doesn't need. Chances are he has some pictures, videos, or apps that he isn't really using. Check for stored podcast, or streaming music cache's from things like Google Play Music, Spotify, etc.

15. ATS macrumors regular

ATS

I would not recommend going with a 16 GB phone. It's simply not enough storage place on a phone in today's day and age. I remember with my iPhone 5 having to constantly remove apps and music because of the limitations of 16 GB. Just my two cents.

16. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

If you stream a lot of music and don't have a ton of apps you'll be fine. I had the 64GB iPhone 6 and just switched to the Jump On Demand plan with T-Mobile. I'm planning on upgrading in the fall so I just got the 16GB iPhone 6+ and I'm not having any issues, but I don't really locally store music. I'm loving the form factor on the 6+. Would never go back.

17. davistld01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

davistld01

Thanks for the "come back to reality" replies, guys! I passed on the trade after doing some real consideration of the limitations that only having 10-11gb of storage mean to me. Although 128gb is way, way more space than I will ever even imaginably need or even use...I don't have to worry about anything at all, don't have to delete anything, and don't have to be concerned about any slowdown of performance.

I'm going to hold on to my current "6" until I can upgrade to the "6s" that presumably will have a bump in processor speeds to make downloads faster and smoother, at least. And, I will probably opt for a 64gb iPhone 6s-Plus at that time at least to see if I really want a device with that much screen area or not.

And yeah...I think I was about to be overcome by my tech "gottahaveitnowitis" again. :rolleyes: