iPhone 6+ 16gb

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KateMack55, Jun 21, 2015.

1. KateMack55 macrumors newbie

OK - bear with me as I'm not a techie. I just got my first smartphone - a 6+. I have always had a basic flip phone because I just don't use a cell phone that much. However, after taking a vacation last fall, my husband and I realized it would be nice to be able to have Internet access while on the road.

I got a 16gb phone and thought it would be OK because I have been using a 16gb iPod Touch and never came close to running out of memory.

I quickly realized that a 16gb phone filled up really fast! Most of the memory was eaten up by photos and music. I bought a RsvPower file hub because it sounded like it would solve my problem - but I guess I can't transfer music I bought using iTunes.

Other than the cloud, it there a device like a file hub that is compatible with all iOS files? I don't want to store everything in the cloud because sometimes I am in areas where I don't have good cell coverage. Thanks.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You should be using something like this: http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/20/the-best-iphoneipad-usb-flash-drives-with-lightning-connectors/

PS - use a streaming service like Spotify for your music instead. And also transfer all your photos to your Mac/PC whenever possible. Store it there instead.

3. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I personally transfer photos to Dropbox via their app. I'm not sure if any of those external drives are compatible with iTunes-purchased music, though some may work with music loaded from CDs or other DRM-free files. I know that none of them work with iTunes purchased movies (at least, since iOS 8)--though they'll typically work with movies ripped from DVDs. Most only seem good for photos and not much else.

All that said, if you're still within the return period, I can't stress this enough...RETURN THE 16 GB and get the 64. Seriously. 16 is already too small, between the size of iOS and ever-growing app sizes. You will outgrow that phone extremely fast--if you haven't already.

If that's not possible, iTunes Match might help with the music problem, though it's $25 a year.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

16GB's works fine for me with my 6 plus.
    I still got over 5gb free.
    I transfer photos and videos to my computer and don't really carry my music on it. I use a ipod nano at the gym.

5. KateMack55 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - I doubt I'm still in the return period. It really upsets me because I paid almost $800 for this thing. I wish I had known about the memory. Apple really ticks me off. I have had my iPod touch for three years and it's only good for music now. Almost all of the apps on it no longer function because I can't update it to iOS 8.

I imagine my phone will probably be obsolete in even less time. Live and learn.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Well maybe you should've done your homework beforehand. Caveat emptor.

My old iPhone 5 was a 32GB variant and since I was running out of space pretty quickly (normally with around 6-7GB remaining), I decided to spring for a 64GB iPhone 6 Plus when it was time to upgrade.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

How did you not know about the memory?
    It says 16GB's right on it.

8. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

I recommend iCloud Photo Library. It stores photos on iCloud and optimises your storage space.

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You could get an iTunes Match type experience free with google music. It'll match you library on your Mac/pc then you download the app on your iPhone and it's all there for you without taking up space.