iPhone 6+ 16gb

KateMack55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
OK - bear with me as I'm not a techie. I just got my first smartphone - a 6+. I have always had a basic flip phone because I just don't use a cell phone that much. However, after taking a vacation last fall, my husband and I realized it would be nice to be able to have Internet access while on the road.

I got a 16gb phone and thought it would be OK because I have been using a 16gb iPod Touch and never came close to running out of memory.

I quickly realized that a 16gb phone filled up really fast! Most of the memory was eaten up by photos and music. I bought a RsvPower file hub because it sounded like it would solve my problem - but I guess I can't transfer music I bought using iTunes.

Other than the cloud, it there a device like a file hub that is compatible with all iOS files? I don't want to store everything in the cloud because sometimes I am in areas where I don't have good cell coverage. Thanks.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
OK - bear with me as I'm not a techie. I just got my first smartphone - a 6+. I have always had a basic flip phone because I just don't use a cell phone that much. However, after taking a vacation last fall, my husband and I realized it would be nice to be able to have Internet access while on the road.

I got a 16gb phone and thought it would be OK because I have been using a 16gb iPod Touch and never came close to running out of memory.

I quickly realized that a 16gb phone filled up really fast! Most of the memory was eaten up by photos and music. I bought a RsvPower file hub because it sounded like it would solve my problem - but I guess I can't transfer music I bought using iTunes.

Other than the cloud, it there a device like a file hub that is compatible with all iOS files? I don't want to store everything in the cloud because sometimes I am in areas where I don't have good cell coverage. Thanks.
You should be using something like this: http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/20/the-best-iphoneipad-usb-flash-drives-with-lightning-connectors/

PS - use a streaming service like Spotify for your music instead. And also transfer all your photos to your Mac/PC whenever possible. Store it there instead.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I personally transfer photos to Dropbox via their app. I'm not sure if any of those external drives are compatible with iTunes-purchased music, though some may work with music loaded from CDs or other DRM-free files. I know that none of them work with iTunes purchased movies (at least, since iOS 8)--though they'll typically work with movies ripped from DVDs. Most only seem good for photos and not much else.

All that said, if you're still within the return period, I can't stress this enough...RETURN THE 16 GB and get the 64. Seriously. 16 is already too small, between the size of iOS and ever-growing app sizes. You will outgrow that phone extremely fast--if you haven't already.

If that's not possible, iTunes Match might help with the music problem, though it's $25 a year.

KateMack55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
Thanks - I doubt I'm still in the return period. It really upsets me because I paid almost $800 for this thing. I wish I had known about the memory. Apple really ticks me off. I have had my iPod touch for three years and it's only good for music now. Almost all of the apps on it no longer function because I can't update it to iOS 8.

I imagine my phone will probably be obsolete in even less time. Live and learn.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Thanks - I doubt I'm still in the return period. It really upsets me because I paid almost $800 for this thing. I wish I had known about the memory. Apple really ticks me off. I have had my iPod touch for three years and it's only good for music now. Almost all of the apps on it no longer function because I can't update it to iOS 8.

I imagine my phone will probably be obsolete in even less time. Live and learn.
Well maybe you should've done your homework beforehand. Caveat emptor.

My old iPhone 5 was a 32GB variant and since I was running out of space pretty quickly (normally with around 6-7GB remaining), I decided to spring for a 64GB iPhone 6 Plus when it was time to upgrade.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I recommend iCloud Photo Library. It stores photos on iCloud and optimises your storage space.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
You could get an iTunes Match type experience free with google music. It'll match you library on your Mac/pc then you download the app on your iPhone and it's all there for you without taking up space.