iPhone 6 - 4.7 inches only?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FrankySavvy, Jul 7, 2014.

1. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

I really think Apple will ONLY be releasing a 4.7 inch iPhone 6.

Apple may have been experimenting with a 5.5 inch phone, I just don't see it happening.

There have been so many legit leaks of the 4.7 inch parts. With the exception of a few claimed images and the prototypes of the 5.5 inch, it has been fairly sparse.

IMO The 5.5 inch is too big, after seeing the prototypes, keeping with the 4.7 inch design, the 5.5 inch is so impractically big, just doesn't seem like an Apple thing to do. Especially Apples obsession with single handed use.

Just my opinion. Who else agrees?

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Why release them both when they can do 4.7" this year and 5.5" next year, thus giving people a reason to upgrade ;)

3. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

That could also be their plan. But I would suspect a complete redesign, so that the display makes up most of the device if it is 5.5 inches.

4. cynics macrumors G3

I agree I don't see Apple doing both. However that's just my opinion which is based off my experience with Apple. I hope I'm wrong for the people that want a 5.5" iPhone.

5. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

Exactly, not apple like!

6. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

I don't know, people said the ipad mini and 4" iphone would never happen and they did. It may not happen, but I think it would be a good idea to release both as both are generating interest. The "refresh" models usually keep a lot of people updating I don't think that will change. These models I think would cause a sizeable defection from android. There IS continuous info, as in "Chinese media sources claim the 4.7-inch version of the iPhone 6 will ship with a battery between 1,800 and 1,900 mAh, while the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 will include a 2,500 mAh battery. " but as mentioned a lack of 5.5 parts makes one wonder. I'm leaning toward the "both are coming" crowd since apple has been surprising the naysayers (again as in the ipad mini and 4" phone and both are wildly popular).

7. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

8. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

It is weird that we haven't seen any solid 5.5" parts - I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Unless the 5.5" isn't at full production yet and is being released later.

9. stuffradio macrumors 65816

Unless the 5.5 rumors were just to gauge the reaction of the public reaction, I don't think they will do one phone only. Last year no one thought they would do a 5S and a 5C, despite the rumours being there. WSJ even reports about the 5.5 inch, and I think it has been discussed on here that that is where Apple gives their planned leaked rumours. Only having 4.7" would allow me to have an easier time of deciding which phone to get, but I don't think it will be only one phone.

10. oldwren macrumors 6502

oldwren

From the mockups/leaks we've seen of the 4.7" model, I can't imagine a 5.5" model being a comfortable size with the large space at the top and bottom for the home button, camera, etc.

Design is important to Apple, so I don't think they're going to change the symmetry just yet—or if they do, it'd have to be consistent with the 4.7" model, too, in which case, none of these leaks are real.

11. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I think there is just a 4.7 inch at this point. Evidence may surface that would change my mind, but right now everything seems to imply that there is one iPhone size out there. This time last year there were significant leaks of the 5c so there was little reason to doubt it's existence. Not the case for the supposed 5.5 inch iPhone.

12. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

I agree

They could just updated and rerelease the iPhone 5C, maybe call it iPhone C "For the Colorful"

13. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

4.7" is too small. 5.5" would be the minimum acceptable length. Am I right, ladies? ;)

14. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

My Nexus 5 is like 4.9 and honestly it's the max I would go with for a "phone". 4.7 on the iPhone is perfect.

15. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

Because these belong to different market segments ;)

16. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

So, are you asking ladies to confirm your own experiences with various sizes?

17. mr99 macrumors 6502a

I agree. THere is no way they're going to release 2 versions at the same time.

18. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Bazinga!!!

19. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

If they do, this will be me on announcement day:

[​IMG]

20. sophiamendezzz1 macrumors regular

I don't think they are going to release the phones at the same time. Surely they will have some time in between. I wouldn't get the 5.5 though...

21. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

I agree! 4.7 inches will be the sweet spot! If the leaked video of the 4.7 in. being torture tested is a true iPhone part, that means sapphire glass will be coming to the 4.7 in. against some analyst predictions.

22. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    5.5" is not an "upgrade"- just an option… much like launching several screen sizes for iPads, Laptops, iMacs, etc. Do you consider the iPad Air an "upgrade" to an iPad Mini? Is a bigger-screen laptop an upgrade to a smaller-screen laptop? Just an option. Those that want a bigger screen can get it. Those that want 4.7" can get it too. Choice is good.

Personally, I have great interest in a 5.5" but almost no interest in a 4.7". However, I wouldn't want Apple to decide that my wants should be forced on everyone else. Similarly, I wouldn't want Apple to decide that 4.7" is the one and only perfect size for everyone either. Roll out both options and everyone that wants to buy a bigger-screen iPhone can buy the one they want. Hold one back and those wanting the other one can't buy what they want and Apple can't get those sales from that segment.

Um, they just did it last time: iPhone 5s and 5c And then there's...
    iPad Mini with Retina and iPad Air
    Every laptop refresh
    Every iMac refresh

Other than the years before the 5s & 5c launch, when does Apple NOT roll out multiple models of computing devices with screens?

"Upgrades" will be new guts and iOS updates (just like every iPhone generation before this one).

Personally, I think it's GREAT to have choices rather than have a corporation decide that one size fits all. Choices allow us consumers to get the one we want (rather than the one a corporation wants us to want).

23. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I never thought for a minute that they would release both phoine at the same time. The larger iPhone will come after, how after, who knows.

24. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Both sizes will be released, the 4.7-inch this year and the 5.5-inch in 2015.

The 5.5-inch may be too big for you but there are 7.2 billion people that may think otherwise.

25. sunking101, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014

sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

They're trying to please both camps. Some want smaller and others want larger. The 4" screen is too small for a modern smartphone, whatever the stuck-in-a-ruts say. Likewise, a 4.7" is too small for heavy media users. By releasing a 4.7 and a 5.5" phone Apple would be satisfying two different markets. Muchos $$$$

If Apple truly want to stick with a 'one size fits all' iPhone, then they will release the 4.7" and let folk get accustomed to the increased size (over the 5S) through the i6 and 6S variants. Then they will discontinue the 4.7" and introduce the 5.5", should the market for 'phablets' have grown to become the norm.
    However, I truly believe that they will release both sizes this year, and it would be the most sound business plan IMO.