iPhone 6 5.5": Rumor or Reality?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cpt. Gilgamesh, Jul 24, 2014.

?

Will we see an iPhone 6 with a 5.5" display?

Poll closed Sep 22, 2014.
  1. Yes

39 vote(s)
    67.2%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    32.8%
  1. Cpt. Gilgamesh macrumors regular

Cpt. Gilgamesh

Well, what say you? What are some of the reasons why or why not you think this device may be coming? I'll be interested to see what dirt you may pull up.

2. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I think it is real (in other words, it exists at Apple and is intended for a release) but I'm not quite as sure that it will be announced this September.

The reasons are due to the stream of rumors and reports that at least acknowledge the existence of a 5.5" iPhone, including one from the WSJ. One major theme with these rumors is that the 5.5" may be released later than the 4.7" so they might not be announced at the same event. However, I think one likely possibility is that they are both announced at the same event but the 5.5" will not be launched for another 1-2 months.

3. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

I think it could happen, but at the same time I don't think it's going to happen.
    Not at least till next cycle (iPhone 7)

Apple usually keeps their screen for a little bit.
    -Original 3.5" screen (original iPhone, 3G & 3GS)
    -3.5" screen with retina display (4 & 4S)
    -4" screen with retina display (5, 5S, 5C)

So I'm thinking
    -4.7" screen with retina display for the iPhone 6, 6S and 6C (maybe?)

Then wait for another cycle (the 7) and make that line have the 5.5 (7, 7S & 7C, if it follows the current trend, of course)

I'm on the fence about it existing. We have seen many, many more parts that belong to the 4.7" model (or so we're told) than parts that belong to the speculated 5.5" model.

There's a story on the front page about flex cables and the SIM trays that supposedly belong to the 5.5", but compared to the 4.7", that's nothing.

We've seen the follow from the 4.7"
    -actual glass
    -possible rear housing
    -flex cables
    -sim trays
    -the display (LCD)
    And others that escaped my mind as soon as I started writing this.

5.5"
    -possible flex cables/SIM trays
    -a display

We don't have those things to scale that we can touch and feel, so who's to say that one thing belongs to the other, or that the whole list is actually backwards, and we've been seeing 5.5" parts and not 4.7" parts?

We don't know, really.

At least until launch day.

Just my two cents.

-Juan

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

5. Izauze macrumors 6502

It's 100% not a rumor. Whether it will be released at the same time as the 4.7 is still up in he air, but it is definitely on its way.

6. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

It may not be released in September. If it's not announced in September alongside the 4.7" but made available later this year, the backlash will be severe.

7. wallstreetfool macrumors newbie

At this point, it's ALL speculation.

Personally, I don't think Apple will steer away from its tradition of simple, easy-to-use, compact devices. Plus, if companies like Apple just keep increasing the size of their Smartphones, pretty soon it would be hard to distinguish between an iPhone and an iPad Mini.

Here are some useful resources for more information on the iPhone 6 Rumors:

Detailed List of iPhone 6 Features: Rumors .vs. Reality

iPhone 6 Rumors (MacRumors)

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Rumor.

Not reality. Because I know what the word reality means, and the 5.5" iPhone 6 does not fit that definition.

9. joshkhaos1 macrumors 6502

Hard to really say. I think that if they release both a 4.7" and a 5.5" model they risk the possibility of the 5.5" model cannibalizing iPad sales, especially ipad mini.......I've never really understood the point of having a device in between the smartphone and tablet category. I mean I get it in the sense that you have one device instead of two, but...idk. I'd be totally fine if all the release is a 4.7" iPhone 6 for now.

10. EW800 macrumors 6502

I have little or nothing to base this on, however my opinion is that we will see a 5.5" version, however it will not be until early next year. I have a feeling that they will say NOTHING about it in September.

11. sixrom macrumors 6502a

Despite the fear harbored by those who were followers of Steve Jobs, the denial that possesses another huge cluster of Apple fans, the company must keep up with industry standards.

They've procrastinated as long as they dare, it's now or never. There has been far to many credible rumors for it not to be true. Only the people most determined to live in denial will continue to do so.

In the mean time it seems Apple has finally caved into reality.

12. cynics macrumors G3

I feel it's too rambunctious for Apple. Thats just my opinion, we'll see come fall.

13. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I say real. After all, we did get the iPad mini!!!