iPhone 6+/5S Step count accuracy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pward, Mar 9, 2015.

1. pward macrumors member

My wife and I were at the zoo over the weekend and our iPhones were together in her handbag for the whole day. At the end of the day we compared step counts and the two devices reported vastly differing numbers - iPhone 6+ c.11000 steps, iPhone 5S c.7000 steps.

Obviously the two iPhones use differing processors but I wonder why the large discrepancy?

Any thoughts anyone?

2. cairene2011 Guest

Was the smaller 5s perhaps inside a tight pocket within her bag while the larger 6+ was in the open, main compartment of the bag and rolling around more?

3. wproct macrumors 6502

wproct

My wife and I both have 5s phones, and one thing we have noticed is that our phones will add steps while we are riding in the car. Sometimes one of them will add more steps while riding in the car than the other one. Don't know if this could possibly be a factor?

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

iPhones base their step counts on movement. If one iPhone happened to be in a spot in her bag that allowed it to move around more, then it will register more steps.

For this reason, having an iPhone in a bag, purse or backpack isn't going to be an accurate indicator of steps. It has to be pretty close to being ON you: in a coat pocket of a coat you're wearing, on a case/holster on your hip, or in a (rather loose) jeans pocket, or shirt pocket, or in your hands.

Ultiamtely, an watch or fitbit would probably be a much better activity tracker.

5. pward thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all.

One phone moving around in the bag more than the other phone sounds a likely explanation.

6. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Try going clubbing all night with your iPhone. After one night all of the data in Health (steps, stairs, walking distance) is non sense.

7. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

I concur with the theory with the phone moving around in the purse. I go bike riding, and use a separate app to track my mileage. On most of my rides, I keep the phone in a handlebar bag, and it the step count stays put until I actually venture out on foot.

However, if I keep the phone in a pant pocket, a bike ride will log thousands of extra steps, because the step counter interprets the pedal strokes as steps.