iPhone 6/6 Plus bending thing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SnowLeopard2008, Sep 24, 2014.

1. SnowLeopard2008, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I don't think anyone stopped and thought how you can bent these phones in a pants pocket. If we take the body top to bottom and define this as the Y axis and body side to side and define this as the X axis, then a phone inserted into a pocket either top or bottom end first should bend in the X axis. Basically, the fulcrum runs parallel to our body top to bottom. Basically the phone should be bending at the sides instead of near the middle. Even if you have the tightest pants ever, the iPhone or any any rectangular block object should bent parallel to your body top to bottom. Why? Your leg runs straight from top to bottom but curves side to side. Put your hand on your thigh. That is the profile a malleable object should take if it is being bent by the pressure of a pants pocket. The pictures we've seen mirrors some of the bending test videos. The tester holds the phone at landscape orientation and bends in the middle. That is not how a pants pocket would apply force. It would apply force if you try to apply pressure while holding the phone in portrait mode. A front pants pocket will try to "wrap" the object around your thigh. Assuming the phone is inserted top/bottom first (and not long side first), the axis of bending is different than the pictures we see in the media.

The only exception to what I just said is if the phone was kept near your butt. Then everything I said is reversed. But a front pants pocket will not bend the iPhone or any object THAT way which we've all seen. The middle line at it which the bend occurs should be rotated 90 degrees.

I'm not denying the iPhone bends. I'm saying it won't bend the way you've seen in the media if you keep it in a front pants pocket. If you keep it in your back pocket, then the images show the correct orientation of the bend.

If you understood all that, I would love to hear your thoughts. I think a better test is to bend the iPhone while holding it in portrait mode. Due to the slimmer profile (width wise), it is much much harder to bend. But apart from back pockets, this is the correct orientation of force that is applied by our front pants pockets.

2. Harvey Specter macrumors regular

Harvey Specter

That block of text was hard to digest but I understand the meaning most occasions though people just want to slide it in their pocket and forget it.

3. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

4. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Sorry I'll try to pare it down. Essentially, the phone would bend differently if you stick it in a front pants pocket with either the top or bottom of the phone touching the bottom of the pocket.

If you factor in back pocket, then what you see in the images from the media and this forum are correct. But they are incorrect for front pocket bending. Furthermore, I don't think the phone fits sideways into a pants pocket (either front or back). It's simply too wide. I also just put my phone in my pocket, but it's always top/bottom touching the bottom of my pocket, not the sides touching the bottom. A sideways phone in your pocket is almost impossible since no pocket is that wide.

----------

I did more than try. Essentially, the phone will bend differently in a front pocket. The images you see in the media and this forum or bend test videos is representative of the forces applied in a back pocket. If you keep your phone in your front pocket, it will not bend according to those images. Simple physics. Will it bend in any kind of way? Sure, as demonstrated by those videos and images. But they only show back pocket bending.

5. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Of course. That is why martial arts 'masters' breaking stacks of bricks, stack them with the very ends of the bricks as the only contact point in their setups. Much easier to break when there is little support under the middle when force is applied, and they also use longer than normal cinder blocks.

6. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Okay... but most of us put our phones in our front pockets right? And you shouldn't be scared of bend-gate (blown out of proportion) because the pictures in the media are not representative of what actually happens, all assuming the phone is put into the pocket top/bottom first and not sideways into the pocket.

7. RockSpider macrumors 6502a

I've got a severe headache, I don't want to hear about the banana phone anymore, it's too complicated, I just want a phone that doesn't bend and just works.

8. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Nothing in my response says I believe pockets cause the bending, nor am I scared to put my phone in my pocket.

Merely a basic physics example after your long winded analysis.

9. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Some of my jeans have short pockets that are pretty wide, so it ends up being more practical to put the phone in sideways. That will allow it to bend as seen

10. Jonathan94 macrumors newbie

The fact that you refer to this defect as a "thing" proves you are just an apple fan boy. I was so excited to get my 6 plus and I never thought it could happen to me but my phone actually bent in my pants pocket. Why are you trying so hard to prove that it can't bend that way? Did you try putting the Plus in your pocket yourself? People like you need to get a life.

By the way, bent is past tense. You used it wrong. You're welcome.