iPhone 6 & 6 Plus very aggressive noise reduction

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SteveJobs2.0, Sep 19, 2014.

1. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

I tried the two phones at the Apple Store before opening the ones that came to my house. I took a few pics in the well lit store with both and my iPhone 5. Even though the two 6s were brighter and more in focus, they also had very aggressive and smudgy noise reduction. Did anybody else notice this?

2. SteveJobs2.0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. HalfOnWhole macrumors member

Yea I've been using my 6 and that's my biggest complaint so far. Looks smudgy

4. RooooG macrumors newbie

Yes, I don't know how the phones were released like this. It's like they meant to set it noise reduction for 8/100 and change it to 80/100 instead.

5. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Is this a software issue? Can you explain how noise reduction?

6. MauriceMoss macrumors member

MauriceMoss

Yes. I've noticed this on my 6p. Overly NR smudged looking pictures. Seriously disappointed in the camera on this thing. I like the phone other than the camera. Hopefully it's something they'll admit to and change in an update.

7. munkydust macrumors member

8. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I'm really hoping they address this with a software fix.

Pictures don't compare to the iPhone 5S very well.

9. BigMovieGeek macrumors regular

I don't have an iPhone 6 yet (my 6+ is arrive today) but as semi professional (part time) photographer, I have an idea as to what might be causing this aggressive noise reduction.

The first thing to note is that the lens on the iPhone or any phone for that matter is tiny in comparison to your average point and shoot or SLR. So straight off the bat, the sensor is getting less light. In good light (outside), the camera will get enough information to produce a decent picture. In low light though (indoors or in the evening) it will need to push what's known as ISO. This effectively increases the sensitivity of the camera's sensor but at a cost. The higher the ISO value, the more noise is introduced into the picture and as a result, a noise reduction pass will have to be applied to counter. The noise reduction does have it's advantages when used sensibly, but crank it too high and you end up with waxy looking images.

This may be one reason... Not saying it is and once I get my 6+, I'll be able to give a more educated reply, but this would be my first guess.

10. Sissyboy macrumors regular

Sissyboy

Thanks for posting an explanation that even I can understand.
    It was really helpful for a casual photographer like me.

11. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Early access reviewers are shills ;)

12. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Waxy is exactly the word I've been looking for!

Even in decent (Not perfect) lighting, the noise reduction of overly aggressive. Hoping it is something Apple addresses in an update.

The iPhone 5S takes much nicer pictures currently.

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Just so no one thinks this is unique to smartphones. When compared to micro 4/3 or APS-C size sensors, point and shoot cameras with tiny sensors struggle with high ISO in low light so they also employ heavier noise reduction.

That's just the way it works, but what is in question is whether Apple is using too much noise reduction.

Will someone who feels they are having this issue compare Apple's camera app to one with manual controls like Camera+, Manual Can, or VSCOcam.

PS. This issue isn't always tied to sensor size. I use Fuji X cameras, for example, and there are complaints that the noise reduction is heavier on the XE2/XT1 when compared to the previous gen cameras like my XE1 which takes excellent low light photos even up to ISO6400.

14. wermy macrumors regular

Yep, I've noticed this too. The pictures look great until you zoom way in, and yeah it looks like they ran it through photoshop with noise reduction set to max. I'd take a little noise over this....

15. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

There have been a number of threads about this over the past week, but none seems to ever get much traction. We should request that a moderator combine them. This one seems to be the busiest at the moment.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1790221