iPhone 6/6+ vs Sony Experia Z3/compact

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sparkie7, Nov 4, 2014.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Anyone considered or considering the Z3 instead of the iPhone 6/+?

Only reason is the camera. I guess splash/water proof could be handy.

But I don't think I can be bothered with Android...

Is the Z3's camera that much better? by specs (and also the processor and RAM) is much more bang for the buck......

thoughts?

2. phositadc macrumors 6502

I have a Z3C and a 6. The 6 camera is MUCH better than the Z3C, it's not even close, especially in low light.

Other than that it's your typical Android vs iPhone battle. I tend to use my Z3C more than my iPhone 6, but to each his own...

3. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

really? thought the higher res camera on the Z3 would be better... but guess not..

4. athand macrumors member

iPhone 6/6+ vs Sony Experia Z3/compact

Higher res = smaller & less sensitive pixels = more noise

5. Y2JDMBFAN macrumors regular

I've got both as well...I'm reaching for the iPhone alot more...Camera is too hit or miss on the Z3C indoors...Looks great outdoors in good light though...

6. Altis macrumors 68020

It could have more to do with the JPG engine and sensor size (the Z3 has a slightly smaller sensor, despite having more pixels).

Odd, but it seems to be the case. The consensus appears to be that the Z3/C can take sharper photos in decent lighting, provided you put the extra work into each photo.

7. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

More pixels isn't better. As Sony's own A7S camera has shown. Only 12MP sensor (vs 36MP), but the king of light low photography. They squeeze one of these (smaller sensor even) into a new phone and it will one heck of a camera phone. But then it's still Android.

Maybe  need to talk to sony about supplying some sensors for their cameras..

8. capuzino macrumors regular

Hm?
    Sony A7 -series features full frame sensors and are, eh, priced as low-end professional devices. A7S is for video, A7R for studio/daylight photography and A7 is just the Malcom in the middle. Or that's the way it seems. They have their differences and seems like great cameras (for the price).
    Bigger physical pixels gives more control over noise which is one of the reasons why most of professional/high-end cameras doesn't have Pureview Pro amounts of pixels.

iPhone 6's camera is great. Atleast I respect a rational amount of pixels, fast focusing, and fast shooting on phone's camera. And iPhone gives all that.
    Sony Z3 has 20MP packet in small sensor. It features 4K video which both sound great. Don't know about the image quality but during dark it might show up grainy and at anytime slow*. And what comes to the 4K video.. it's great. To describe "low quality 4K/2160p/Ultra HD". Every 4K shooting phone records in lower or same bitrate than iPhone 6 while having 4 times the pixels. Don't know about Androids but on iOS you can buy external movie recording app to boost up the bitrate. And a bit of resolution too.

Of course the Android flagships seem like the best bang for the buck on paper, but it really depends on your needs. On paper iPhone has less power but because of better optimized operating system (and apps) it works as flawless and-or even better.
    And the amount of apps in app store doesn't really matter, but what I've used these devices Apple's App Store seems to have a lot more quality apps than Android's or WP's store.

With phones we're really talking about somewhat small amounts of money, that if you feel the few $100 extra to iPhone and some kind of protection or Apple Care for it isn't too much for what it gives, you should go for it. Of course if it would really get on your wallet, LG Nexus 5 or something like that from its price range could work.
    I was deciding between iPhone 6, Galaxy Note 3 & 4, Nokia Lumia 930, Sony Xperia Z3 & Z3C and Nexus 5. Galaxy Note would've given me nice stylus to work with but on other parts iPhone took over with it's features (and the truth that I have Mac and the price difference wasn't so much between Note 4, Z3 and iPhone). And I couldn't be more happy with it.

*Don't know about the new Microsoft-time Lumias, but the older Pureview cameras were slow and some of them even grainy. I always missed the perfect moment with Lumia 920 but iPhone 6 puts my hopes up again with fast performing camera. Like. I mean. Those should've been great cameras.
    -
    But yeah, water and dust proof design could come handy. And the glass on Sony's Z-series seems to be pretty strong.

9. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Nope. The A7S is for photography also. Especially lowlight...

Just b/c it's only a 12MP sensor doesn't mean it's not good enough for photography..