Iphone 6 60fps VLC stuttering?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pelea, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Pelea, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014

Pelea macrumors 6502

Is anyone else having problems viewing 60fps videos taken from their iphone 6 on VLC on their windows computers? Mine simply won't play as smooth as 30fps videos taken from my iPhone 6.. even though i have a ssd, gtx650 card and an i7 intel quad core processor on my computer..

On windows media player it works fine, just not on vlc. anyone know how to fix this?

Running windows 8.1 btw

2. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

3. Pelea thread starter macrumors 6502

4. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

You're sentence structure is confusing people. From reading the post it sound like you're trying to play 60 FPS video on your iPhone with VLC then you sprout desktop specs.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

To be sure we understand, here is what it sounds to me like you are doing:

1. Recording 60 fps video on your iPhone 6.
    2. Attempting to play that video back on your Windows 8.1 desktop computer.

If that is accurate, then I have a couple questions:

1. How are you recording the 60 fps video? Is it using the built-in camera app, with "Record Video at 60 FPS" turned on in Settings? Or is it with a different app?
    2. On your PC, you say it plays fine in Windows Media Player, but not VLC. What version of VLC? What settings enabled in VLC? (Is hardware acceleration turned on?)

And the unrelated question: Why are you choosing 60 FPS over the standard 30 FPS? If for "everyday" videos, it's likely not worth the extra space they take up, picture quality loss (fitting twice as many frames in less than twice the data rate means some quality loss,) and difficulty playing back (as you have discovered.) I use it sparingly, only when recording fast-action events, not everyday videos.

7. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

I believe this was typed on iPhone, and was trying to say "on an" iPhone. The new iOS 8 autocorrect is driving me nuts sometimes.

8. Pelea, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014

Pelea thread starter macrumors 6502

Updated main post to make it a bit more clear sorry

----------

I'm using the default setting to take 60fps videos on my iphone, then simply uploading it to my computer and playing it on the latest version of vlc. All settings are on default on vlc, and hardware acceleration makes the video jerky so I kept it off.

I'm choosing 60fps over 30 as it seems to improve phase detection, which isn't working half the time on my iPhone 6 even in good lighting conditions.

----------

It's .mov