Iphone 6/6s Digital Image Stabilization Feature

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by beeinformed, Sep 12, 2015.

1. beeinformed macrumors 6502

Hi,

I would like to buy either the iPhone 6 and/or 6s and would appreciate some feedback as to whether the digital image stabilization feature prevents photo blurriness if your hand shakes.

Thanks in advance to your response to my inquiry!

2. freeskier93, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015

freeskier93 macrumors 6502

I assume you mean optical image stabilization (OIS), not digital image stabilization (big difference). The iPhone 6 and 6s do not have OIS, only iPhone 6 Plus and 6s Plus have OIS.

For me personally OIS made a noticeable difference in videos, they seem a lot more fluid. Can't really say I noticed a difference with pictures, though I never had an issue with blurry pictures (from hand shake) with older iPhones. Either way it's almost impossible to say exactly how your case use will be affected.

EDIT: It actually looks like it's up for debate whether the iPhone 6 Plus uses OIS for video and only uses digital image stabilization. Either way it was a noticeable difference in video when going from my 4s to 6 Plus. However, according to the tech specs for the 6s Plus OIS is used for video.

3. zhaoxin macrumors regular

Currently only the plus models, aka 6 plus or 6s plus has OIS. 6 and 6s only have the digital image stabilization. It is the software way. When you press the shot button, iPhone 6 or 6s will take multiple pictures and choose the best parts of them to make a new picture. So it is not as good as the OIS.

4. beeinformed thread starter macrumors 6502

Although the digital image stabilization feature in the 6/6s is not as good as the OIS feature in the 6+/6+s would it still be somewhat helpful as far as blurry photos caused by shaky hands?

5. zhaoxin macrumors regular

Surely it does. The plus models will also do this process. The only difference for the plus models is that the lights that comes in are pre-adjusted by OIS. So they can do better.